Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

29 minutes ago, asitis said:

At what point does, or did, the SPCO turn from a wise purchase with a guaranteed revenue stream for Government into a taxpayers millstone ?

As soon as it became evident that their 'arms length' are as long as a T Rex. 

Of course the rest of us knew this would be the outcome all along. 

image.jpeg.b13dcacf2339fee37418ae18b251b7a1.jpeg

Edited by The Phantom
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, asitis said:

At what point does, or did, the SPCO turn from a wise purchase with a guaranteed revenue stream for Government into a taxpayers millstone ?

18 minutes ago, asitis said:

only when the  dead hand of government got involved , if were not careful it will be an albatross around our necks  and worse still anyone with experience or knowledge of operating a shipping company  will not wish to get involved with it  then the muppets in Tynwald and the  government experts  will eventually run it into the ground or price it out or existence 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After Tynwald has thrown £squillions of taxpayers money at Half Tide Dock to turn it into a viable berth I've no doubt they're now all sitting back astonished that Peel Ports are going charge handsomely for it's use.

After all it's the bright, shiney, brand-new addition to the Peel Ports money-making portfolio! From zero to hero you could say. The zero being the £amount it's cost Peel Ports...

Errrr shouldn't the onward costs have been part of the original agreement...?

No doubt lessons will be learned from the whole farrago (again and again ad infinitum...)

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

After Tynwald has thrown £squillions of taxpayers money at Half Tide Dock to turn it into a viable berth I've no doubt they're now all sitting back astonished that Peel Ports are going charge handsomely for it's use.

I don't think it's PP who will be charging, it's IoMG/Treasury who are trying to rent it out to their own "arm's length" operation, the Steamie. Notwithstanding that the land is leased long-term from PP and will return at the expiry of the lease.

But being arm's length, the Steamie are quite within their rights to hard-bargain and even walk away if they don't like the terms?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

After all it's the bright, shiney, brand-new addition to the Peel Ports money-making portfolio! From zero to hero you could say. The zero being the £amount it's cost Peel Ports...

Errrr shouldn't the onward costs have been part of the original agreement...?

No doubt lessons will be learned from the whole farrago (again and again ad infinitum...)

You couldn't make it up.

Err, you did. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I don't think it's PP who will be charging, it's IoMG/Treasury who are trying to rent it out to their own "arm's length" operation, the Steamie. Notwithstanding that the land is leased long-term from PP and will return at the expiry of the lease.

But being arm's length, the Steamie are quite within their rights to hard-bargain and even walk away if they don't like the terms?

Thanks for that.

But surely what's at stake is the IOMSPCo bottom line which transmogrifies itself into a government divvy? Minus operational costs of course which would include forward purchases that need to be made.

Surely the advantage of the arrangement is that both sides know the figures so why is it seemingly contentious?

Interesting times ahead...

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the lease agreement for the LPL facility isn't rolled into Sea Services Agreement (that's now being reviewed).

That is the obvious thing to do. Otherwise what’s to stop the SPC turning round and saying that they can sail to Birkenhead cheaper than it would cost to take out a lease on the new terminal and telling Treasury to FO as it doesn’t make commercial sense to take out an additional lease over the new facility? 

"The Speaker of the House of Keys himself saying its had a “rushed delivery timescale, which was inadequately planned and proved to be hopelessly ambitious in its initial budgeting”.

"Work initially began in November 2019 and was expected to have been completed by August 2021, but delays have seen the completion date moved back. "

I wonder what the non-rushed timescale would have been.

[I know what you are going to say - "Covid"]

32 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

https://manx.news/manannan-requires-minor-modification-for-new-terminal/?feed_id=5587&_unique_id=65fc59d16fbcb&fbclid=IwAR12j75rKluquh-AMGHRKfG5s53N3DxZlBSWtRy4SWj244JA0vjmsQRqVIg

Slight modifications needed to the Manannan to get it to be able to get people off at the custom built from scratch terminal  🤪

However SeaCat has been refurbished !

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2024-03-21/manannan-to-return-to-service-with-refurbished-facilities-for-liverpool-sailings#