Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

And cheap Manx beer.

Is the Mayoress pictured any relation of Joe Anderson then, he presumably hasn't been stripped of his title if she is?

It's just a coincidence, she's no relation and was directly elected (after various dodgy shenanigans within Liverpool Labour Party,  because things don't change that much).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, asitis said:
Is it me or do these two clowns need a lesson in "reading the room" !
Still when the enquiry starts it's two more to be called !!

O9Zcnyz-_normal.jpg

Isle of Man Chief Minister

@iomcm
· 1h
Chief Minister @alfredcannan MHK and Minister @TimCrookall MHK attended the unveiling of Triskelion Way with @MayorLpool Joanne Anderson. The road will lead down to the new Isle of Man Ferry Terminal in Liverpool.

This pic is todays lead story on the NPM. I bet Crookall and Cannan hope the new Road is paved with gold, whereas on the IOM it’s paved with dog shit and chewing gum. I wonder if the new road will appear on sat nav? It would have been easier to call it the Road to Nowhere.

Edited by 2112

Meanwhile, just a bit further along the dock, Everton will be in their new stadium in 2024. Although costing £500m it's beginning to look better value than our little barn!

There only ever seems to be about four men working on the new terminal, in typical IoMG style, the contractor seems to be able to just put his excess workforce from important contracts on our job? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itsmeee said:

Did you know that Triskelion is actually pronounced ‘trillion’?

No, I did not and I am sure most don't either.

"Trillion Way" sounds about right from a spend point of view, especially if you could the spend in GB pennies.........

A trillion pennies to build this bit of road and steel framed building.

Cheap at - No not cheap anywhere, please oh please someone  explain how such a small site can eat so much money?

How much did the access roads cost Liverpool council?

That is where you will find the discrepancies..

• Thanks 1

The whole Steam Packet scenario, right from purchase, to the festive requests for expressions of interest, together with the embargoed report and of course the ongoing terminal, should be the subject of a far reaching and public enquiry. Taxpayers should not be used to fund maladministration/incompetence without finding out why ?

Given the pressure on front line services, the use of public money in these quantities should be subject to strict scrutiny. I note further up the thread the DOI have been unable to furnish the full breakdown of costs, which again begs the question ,why did the muppets feel they could vote to approve the further 32 million if no one has a full and complete explanation and breakdown ? Seems cart before horse to me !

• Like 4

And the sad thing is after all the money that is being spent  , it cant be used for freight , or after a certain time in the evening , it whats commonly known as unfit for purpose ,  or we have been sold a pup ,  the Sea Cat will be gone in a couple of years ,thats if increased  fuel prices  make it unviable to operate it any more ! we will be left with 2 conventional freight carrying ferries  one of which will be 25 yers old

you couldn't make this up , talk about future proofing the Islands sea services , its a JOKE ,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IOMG have released a press release with a triumphant Crookall and Alfie on a site visit to the new Liverpool Ferry Terminal. A large Manx flag on display and Alfie and Tim in IOMG hi viz waist coats specially made for the occasion. I just wish we could just get on with the job get it finished and opened. No doubt Alfie, Timmy, Jane, Julie, Ashie, Alex, Kate, Clare and Co will be ready to party like it’s 1999 at the opening ceremony. As the Manx Flag is prominent I assuming it’s going to be like an Embassy (Manx Soil).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2022 at 6:30 AM, asitis said:

Quite honestly it sickens me to think of the good that 70 million plus could do here on island to sort out Health and Social problems. Government vote to continue with this uncosted farce, whilst we have a fuel crisis for the vulnerable and a commercial radio station runs a (laudable) appeal for food banks !

Understand your feelings and I think most people are pissed off that the costs have been allowed to escalate as they have.

But when we have a budget of £42 million for some spurious green spending suddenly it doesn’t seem quite so bad when put into that context.

That £42m could also do a lot of good to sort out Health and social problems.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Understand your feelings and I think most people are pissed off that the costs have been allowed to escalate as they have.

But when we have a budget of £42 million for some spurious green spending suddenly it doesn’t seem quite so bad when put into that context.

Valid points but it doesn’t matter how much is spent. It needs to be spent wisely and value for money………………… not something that IOMG is well known for. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Agreed.  Arranging a £42m green fund with no plan shows that government have lost the plot.

Before any MHK proposes a use for the 42million, they should speak to people forced to use foodbanks and those waiting over three years for treatment.  Then decide whether spending money installing Tesla power banks in the second homes is a justifiable use of public money

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1