Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

14 hours ago, Omobono said:

My understanding is we have moved away from the tried and tested floating link span that has proved successful on the Mersey for years , and opted for a hydraulic system ,   maybe this is why its going to cost so much ,  the design fees must be multi million , it would be good to see a breakdown of the initial costs ,and compare it with what is happening now , it will be £100 before its finished ,  no freight ,no winter operation  ,  no access after 10-45 in the evening  and a bloody long walk to the pier head , and liver buildings ,

I'm no expert but I would have thought that the so called 'floating linkspan' is a nightmare. Its actually a pontoon with a levered linkspan IMO. A modern hydraulic linkspan with no pontoon would seem to be the more popular choice these days. Does it not make you a little bit more independent of the river level. 

Like I say though, I'm no expert and I am merely expressing a view. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I'm no expert but I would have thought that the so called 'floating linkspan' is a nightmare. Its actually a pontoon with a levered linkspan IMO. A modern hydraulic linkspan with no pontoon would seem to be the more popular choice these days. Does it not make you a little bit more independent of the river level. 

Like I say though, I'm no expert and I am merely expressing a view. 

well we all know about the isle of man being leaders in technical innovation  lets just hope we have got something right for  a change , 

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2022 at 10:00 PM, Kopek said:

....but isn't the Liverpool route dependent on the shopping/football traffic? So, sat n sunday should suffice?

Should we spend millions of our own money to support Liverpools economy?

They don't need it - the place is buzzing with Russian money and the drug economy 

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2022 at 10:00 PM, Kopek said:

....but isn't the Liverpool route dependent on the shopping/football traffic? So, sat n sunday should suffice?

Should we spend millions of our own money to support Liverpools economy?

Should we? We already do..!

Sat at Bilbao port, waiting to board to Rosslare. After check in told of 3 hour delay.

This is their terminal. 6 years old.

Covers 2 sailings per week by Salamanca to Portsmouth (1400 pax per sailing) and two to Rosslare (500 pax per sailing ). Plus from November the Connemara will be replaced by one of the e-flexers carrying 1400 on the Rosslare route.

Also covers 4 freight sailings a week with up to 100 drivers.

it's been here 6 years. I watched it being built to replace the temporary one built when BF took over from P&O. 

Admittedly no foot passengers. Paid for by the port authority as are the two link spans

D264D891-5640-44EC-9857-63CBA735B04C.jpeg

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

Does anyone know if there is going to be a cafe in our shiny new Liverpool terminal? Or will it just be the usual shit vending machines and a TV on the BBC news channel 24/7

Michelin 5 star restaurant. Free to IoM residents.

• Haha 4

A lounge was requested for people off to Liverpool for medical stuff but I think it may have been denied as most travel by air

The building appears to have two or three stories, so maybe there will be lots of administrative offices and a staff canteen

9 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

The maximum number of Michelin stars that can be given to any one restaurant is three. 

We've paid for an extra two...

• Haha 3