Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

30 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

“Soccer” is  always regarded as an Americanism, whatever it’s derivation.

Whats wrong with “football”?

No it isn’t. But there you go. Yes, it’s used almost exclusively there, but they borrowed it from the British English contraction of association, and it’s been in common usage all my life as an alternative for association football 

15 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It is indeed. A bit old school now though I think, not sure why, words just go in and out of fashion I guess.

Thing is when it was in my school curriculum as soccer, none of us would have known what it was called in USA or AUS. There were satellites, just, but no transatlantic broadcast of US sports, no real professional USA AF game, which  came in the 90’s. The first national league only dates from 68 and collapsed in the 80’s.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Thing is when it was in my school curriculum as soccer, none of us would have known what it was called in USA or AUS. There were satellites, just, but no transatlantic broadcast of US sports, no real professional USA AF game, which  came in the 90’s. The first national league only dates from 68 and collapsed in the 80’s.

Could its lack of popularity now be a backlash caused by finding out its use by the Yanks?

44 minutes ago, John Wright said:

We're the same age and when I was at school (even at primary) it was only ever known as football, never soccer.