Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

Is it the 'Day Trip' value of Liverpool that appeals? These day trips are a Manx tradition but are the shopping/football trips a single day any more??? Must be a bit of a rush? Why subject oneself to the hassle for some Primark bargains???

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Is it the 'Day Trip' value of Liverpool that appeals? These day trips are a Manx tradition but are the shopping/football trips a single day any more??? Must be a bit of a rush? Why subject oneself to the hassle for some Primark bargains???

It's a Chav thing.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kopek said:

That’s one factor, the other is transport links and in all probability being nearer where your end destination is as opposed to landing in the godforsaken hole that is Heysham.

Re day trips in my younger days I was a big fan. Get the SeaCat, arrive in Liverpool at ten (ish), go to BHS have their seven item breakfast for a ridiculously low price ( well compared with Island prices). Have a look round the shops or go for a pint or two. Go and see the football whilst the womenfolk went proper shopping.

Leave the football, get back into the city. If time have another drink before boarding the boat back. Have a bit of banter, a read, another drink or whatever and arrive back in Douglas knowing you had had a great day out..

I’m a bit too old for all of that now. But wouldn’t like to deprive the next generation of those experiences.

We should not, and cannot lose the Liverpool link. It is vital to the Island’s collective wellbeing.

Call me a chav if you will

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Last sentence added due to Finlo’s condescending post above
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That’s one factor, the other is transport links and in all probability being nearer where your end destination is as opposed to landing in the godforsaken hole that is Heysham.

Re day trips in my younger days I was a big fan. Get the SeaCat, arrive in Liverpool at ten (ish), go to BHS have their seven item breakfast for a ridiculously low price ( well compared with Island prices). Have a look round the shops or go for a pint or two. Go and see the football whilst the womenfolk went proper shopping.

Leave the football, get back into the city. If time have another drink before boarding the boat back. Have a bit of banter, a read, another drink or whatever and arrive back in Douglas knowing you had had a great day out..

I’m a bit too old for all of that now. But wouldn’t like to deprive the next generation of those experiences.

We should not, and cannot lose the Liverpool link. It is vital to the Island’s collective wellbeing.

And you believe expenditure of what seems to be likely to exceed £100m is justified by that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I think that when the site was found to be difficult, those responsible decided to push on as we had already bought it. The information was withheld, and the fact that we should have walked away early on in the game.  

They were told the site was difficult at the purchase negotiations stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It's often not possible to reach the ferry back on Saturday in time. Sunday's definitely not possible with 430 matches. Steam Packet so t reschedule the sailings to 8pm to allow people sufficient time to get to the terminal so nowadays people either come back overnight from Heysham or get a flight.

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

And you believe expenditure of what seems to be likely to exceed £100m is justified by that? 

I wasn’t making any comment on that.

But since you mention it , without knowing all the costings it does appear we are being ripped off. But that doesn’t alter the fact sailings to Liverpool are vital. If we were to lose them the Island would be poorer for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But since you mention it , without knowing all the costings it does appear we are being ripped off. But that doesn’t alter the fact sailings to Liverpool are vital. If we were to lose them the Island would be poorer for it.

Oh,we are all poorer for it...............

Edited by Hoops
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

If, as you say, a Liverpool link is 'vital, then that implies an 'at any cost' solution, which seems to be what we are getting.

I would dispute your use of 'vital' in the context of day trips or even a permanent link to Liverpool.  Health services, education, emergency services, are all 'vital'.  What you describe is something that enhances life, not that is necessary to it.

Your vital requirement has diverted eye watering amounts from the things which are truly vital to our life and it is that fixed and narrow view which got us in this situation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well worth the £100 million plus - don't know why we're complaining... :rolleyes:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

Oh,we are all poorer for it...............

And likely to be so for a long time unless we can get 500,000 visitors a year plus 15,000 new residents all passing through it to contribute to paying off its costs.

Alternatively; coming soon to a Tax Assessment or Rates Demand near you :-

"Terminal Tax".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Do you just open your mouth to change feet?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1