Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

7 hours ago, BriT said:

The bridge is probably a thank you for the 30% of project costs that have gone into the previous mayors back pocket.

To be fair to Mayor Joe, if IoM gov had paid him off like they should have it would have been built by now. He may have been corrupt but shit got done in that city under his watch.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:29 PM, 0bserver said:

Let's hope they don't repeat the stunt this time around! Although we would get by just fine without Liverpool. 

Except we wouldn’t.

We would get by but not just fine. Liverpool is 60 miles or so south of Heysham.

It has been estimated that at least 90% of traffic disembarking the boat (vehicular and pedestrian ) goes south from Liverpool, or to Liverpool itself.

Petrol costs are what £8 or so per gallon and at an average mpg of 39 mpg to get from Heysham to continue from Liverpool  ( well you do the maths) . Not forgetting the time lost for both car and foot passengers to get to a starting point of Liverpool or wherever on the same latitude. And this would apply both ways so effectively an unnecessary 120 miles.

Not forgetting of course the environmental impact of all those extra miles

35 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Except we wouldn’t.

We would get by but not just fine. Liverpool is 60 miles or so south of Heysham.

It has been estimated that at least 90% of traffic disembarking the boat (vehicular and pedestrian ) goes south from Liverpool, or to Liverpool itself.

Petrol costs are what £8 or so per gallon and at an average mpg of 39 mpg to get from Heysham to continue from Liverpool  ( well you do the maths) . Not forgetting the time lost for both car and foot passengers to get to a starting point of Liverpool or wherever on the same latitude. And this would apply both ways so effectively an unnecessary 120 miles.

Wow, in the world of stupid, you truly are the king…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Except we wouldn’t.

We would be fine. Liverpool is a nice to have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Wow, in the world of stupid, you truly are the king…

Wow! Add something to the debate or just don't bother to reply, it's not  mandatory

I hope your Blue Roll can cope with your spittle !!!!

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Except we wouldn’t.

From Manchester we prefer Heysham because with the new spur road it's very much the stress free option.

The traffic through Liverpool can be so shit sometimes it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the amount of fuel used between the two was similar.

I'll check it out.

Incidentally not sure of your 90% of passengers head south. Especially during TT & MGP where most of it goes East.

Please post up your source. Thanks.

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

From Manchester we prefer Heysham because with the new spur road it's very much the stress free option.

The traffic through Liverpool can be so shit sometimes it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the amount of fuel used between the two was similar.

I'll check it out.

Incidentally not sure of your 90% of passengers head south. Especially during TT & MGP where most of it goes East.

Please post up your source. Thanks.

It’s an estimate 

Not even an "educated guess".

I often head to/from the south, but far prefer to use Heysham than Liverpool. As the VoR says, the roads through Liverpool are shit. Getting out of Heysham on the new link road is bliss, whether heading north or south.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I often head to/from the south, but far prefer to use Heysham than Liverpool. As the VoR says, the roads through Liverpool are shit. Getting out of Heysham on the new link road is bliss, whether heading north or south.

Not bliss for foot passengers though.

11 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Not bliss for train users either

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s an estimate 

Ah yes, a pure guesstimate. Or BS as it's known.

I would like to know how the costs spiralled so completely out of control from the original basis?

Someone's responsible for getting it very very wrong. What's needed is a Blamestorming Meeting...

11 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Seriously, you’re a fan of corruption?

Not really, no, and nor did I say so. Mayor Joe, members of his family and his circle of friends should probably be in jail.

What I am saying is that there has been a clear pathway to successful development in that city from more than 20 years.