Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

One thing that strikes me, for what it’s worth, is the opposition by a very vocal part of the island’s population, to nuclear power stations, and (understandably to some extent), the Sellafield reprocessing plant. But we are happy to sail to Heysham and get on and off the boat within I short distance of a nuclear power station. Just a thought 🤔

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

What comes first ? The Liverpool dock or the new boat from Korea. 100% my money is on the boat . And thats allowing the estimated 1 month for it to steam here. 

Of course the boat comes first!  Then the docking facilities in Liverpool, then in the Island.

Joined-up-thinking you see.

Not like it's been known a new bigger ship has been coming since the newbuilding contract was enforced in July 2020....

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, snowman said:

The new boat will be going to Heysham so it doesn't matter if the boat is finished before the terminal 

Except the whole reason for the reinforcing of the berth walls, and the length of wall to tie up to, is to accommodate the new boat. ( 2 days a week, 5 months a year, if previous timetable patterns are repeated )

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

What comes first ? The Liverpool dock or the new boat from Korea. 100% my money is on the boat . And thats allowing the estimated 1 month for it to steam here. 

That’s if those sailing the boat don’t crash, hit or sink anything on the way. 

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Except the whole reason for the reinforcing of the berth walls, and the length of wall to tie up to, is to accommodate the new boat. ( 2 days a week, 5 months a year, if previous timetable patterns are repeated )

Manxman will be going to Heysham in the summer. Has it been confirmed that it goes to Liverpool in Winter. The timetable isn't released yet

6 minutes ago, snowman said:

Manxman will be going to Heysham in the summer. Has it been confirmed that it goes to Liverpool in Winter. The timetable isn't released yet

The whole reason for the reinforcement, at great expense, of the quay wall was because of the scour of the powerful side thrusters being fitted to Manxman.

And no, the 2023/4 winter timetable isn't out. But if they don't schedule Liverpool winter weekend sailings that leaves the new terminal and link span unused for 5 months a year.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It should be for £80 million.

We are not going to get away with 80 million. Not heard anything for months about costings etc. Deliberate or have I missed something. In this case with DOI involved no news is definitely not good news. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

We are not going to get away with 80 million. Not heard anything for months about costings etc. Deliberate or have I missed something. In this case with DOI involved no news is definitely not good news. 

Do you remember when no news was good news - where are clowns are involved, no news means we’re about to be screwed

• Like 4