Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That has been mooted for some time, same for Manchester. 

ETA Seems that both schemes have been deferred in view of impact on businesses.   

Liverpool say they won't be introducing a charge to assist in their CAZ initiative,  so it looks like it isn’t going to be an issue.

Good to hear. IOM reg numbers are their systems though. I know through experience with ULEZ.

22 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Good to hear. IOM reg numbers are their systems though. I know through experience with ULEZ.

You’re wrong in assuming that there is a unified system with shared IoM data access.

I don’t think the Thames crossing, or new Runcorn bridge do. I’ve tried paying for Runcorn, won’t recognise my index number.

I know that Ireland’s M50 Dublin ring road has access.

I find it frustrating, as I have a toll tag that works in France, Spain, Portugal. There’s no reason why M6 toll, Thames crossing, Runcorn, Mersey tunnels etc shouldn’t have installed that technology. Dublins M50 has the technology but using a non compatible billing system - I get a tag not readable message.

Its portable, sticks on the windscreen, can be moved from car to car. Works in many Spanish car parks and Barcelona Airport pick up zone. I just get a monthly bill. 

56 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’re wrong in assuming that there is a unified system with shared IoM data access.

I don’t think the Thames crossing, or new Runcorn bridge do. I’ve tried paying for Runcorn, won’t recognise my index number.

I know that Ireland’s M50 Dublin ring road has access.

I find it frustrating, as I have a toll tag that works in France, Spain, Portugal. There’s no reason why M6 toll, Thames crossing, Runcorn, Mersey tunnels etc shouldn’t have installed that technology. Dublins M50 has the technology but using a non compatible billing system - I get a tag not readable message.

Its portable, sticks on the windscreen, can be moved from car to car. Works in many Spanish car parks and Barcelona Airport pick up zone. I just get a monthly bill. 

There is certainly some variance in the data that they use. I too don't bother with the Runcorn bridge as it doesn't recognise my plate when I enter the details. What I was saying was though, is that there must be a way of obtaining it. Many have probably not bothered but tfl clearly have. Therefore if Manchester and/or Liverpool do choose this route and can be bothered with IOM revenue, they clearly could.

Hopefully they won't bother👍

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

There is certainly some variance in the data that they use. I too don't bother with the Runcorn bridge as it doesn't recognise my plate when I enter the details. What I was saying was though, is that there must be a way of obtaining it. Many have probably not bothered but tfl clearly have. Therefore if Manchester and/or Liverpool do choose this route and can be bothered with IOM revenue, they clearly could.

There’s no variance in the data they use. It can only come from one source, DoI in the IoM.

The variances are how, if at all, they access.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2022 at 8:18 AM, Happier diner said:

Doubt it with such easy marks who have no choice but to drive through. In fact a Manx reg will be charged extra because of the CO2/NO from the boats. So hope the new ferry is at least hybrid electric so we can eliminate that while at the dock.

Turns out it is. 4 diesel engines (most efficent ones in the world according to Guiness World Records) with electric final drives.

The highly efficient generators sets will feed electric final drives, coupled to highly efficient propellors to ensure a vibration free crossing. Any excess electricity generated will be stored by the vessel’s on board batteries, which will be used during periods of higher demand, or while the vessel is alongside in port to reduce emissions.

Could be handy in future if the batteries run low, they could stop off anywhere in the windfarms and plug in for a top-up or run an over head line like the trams.

Hopefully, the batteries are good old lead acid and not lithium or we'll be looking for a few million when it comes time to replace them too.

Steam packet boats use shore power while alongside , have done for years , no  pollution from generators ,  the vehicles coming off in Liverpool will eventually be charged with environmental taxes ,  this is now the norm in most UK city centres ,so what ever the boat fare  there will be add ons , and someone has to think about the government debt involving the steam packet  that has to be serviced ,  we already are experiencing record prices for foot passengers ,  travel to the island by sea or air is no longer  cheap  ,or indeed value for money when  compared to other destinations  in Europe and beyond  ,

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lowell thurber said:

Steam packet don't use shore power when tied up alongside. Manannan has been tied up since the beginning of November and there's no shore cable. Apparently Manxman will run of batteries for shore power so that's a step in the right direction.

They must have a generator I guess.

4 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Onboard generators - 

Power is needed 24/7/365.  You do not just park up boats like that and turn off the engine and walk away.

It has to available to be moved when needed.

Quite. To be honest though I was referring to the manx man, but applies to them all. Batteries have to be charged and if a ship runs on gas or oil it has to be done using non renewable power. Not sure what the manxmans green credentials are. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to book a crossing for after TT for three weeks, before the school holidays. With a car and cabin, as my wife is not a good sailor £700.00. How in hell we think we are a family holiday destination with these prices is beyond me !

Ahhh just found bit too close to TT, glad I'm not a motorcycle fan they must be wealthy !!

Edited by asitis

So not content to fucking around with a schedule that has worked for the best part of 100 years, you need to remortgage the house to afford to get her and live like a nomad(camels not permited). No wonder they are in no rush to improve access road, they are going to kill it off in a style that is all there own. Death by civil service.

• Like 4