Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

On 4/8/2021 at 11:26 PM, P.K. said:

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised that the cost of abandoning this folly hasn't even been looked at.

Personally l suspect looking at Liverpool sans a freight option is built on purely historical grounds. Why use tonnage designed for freight at this berth at all? Also for me there is nothing worse than threading my way through Liverpools morning rush hour to make a morning crossing. Especially as the new M6 spur makes Heysham very much the stress free option. However the public transport at Heysham is pants.

This is an opportunity to create a better and more flexible option than the current offerings and they're letting it go begging...

I proposed this in March last as the pandemic took hold. Close the project and take the hit on the expenditure so far. It was never the right thing to do, and Covid was the perfect face saving excuse to write it off. 

But Manx Government hubris, the need for ‘projection of power’, usurped any sensible resolution.

come September, I hope Manx voters ask members how they voted on this issue, and why? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I proposed this in March last as the pandemic took hold. Close the project and take the hit on the expenditure so far. It was never the right thing to do, and Covid was the perfect face saving excuse to write it off. 

But Manx Government hubris, the need for ‘projection of power’, usurped any sensible resolution.

come September, I hope Manx voters ask members how they voted on this issue, and why? 

I'm totally in favour of Liverpool as the main port but with freight and decent passenger facilities. Once they realised that full freight handling was out of the question, IoMG should have walked away. The costs have escalated to embarrassing levels, particularly as nobody seems to have a handle on them. We are building a facility which will be as much a benefit to Liverpool as the IoM and they should be meeting some of the costs.

Heysham is a disgrace. People arriving at that railhead must be waiting for the SS officer to point them left or right as they get off the train! (In fact they do have their own uniformed version on security) 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, asitis said:

I am surprised, actually thinking about it I'm not, that some of our elected haven't been asking some awkward questions about just how costs go to 53 million from 3 million or even 9 million. Thats some difference to explain away imo.

download (5).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, asitis said:

I am surprised, actually thinking about it I'm not, that some of our elected haven't been asking some awkward questions about just how costs go to 53 million from 3 million or even 9 million. Thats some difference to explain away imo.

It isn't 53m though.  That's already been clarified?

The link to the document that Max Power posted (Topic P8, April 2nd) being the question from Claire Barber, now doesn't appear to work for some reason 🤔.

AT posted on Thursday last that the £53M was a "publication error".