Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

30 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

It is indeed a cancel/refund/rebook but hardly for the usual reasons. The pax has done absolutely nothing wrong, apart from in the SP's eyes, for stupidly booking on what later turned out to be a rail strike day stopping onward travel.

Yes, EZY would have to charge for entirely different reasons as previously discussed. 

None of this has any relevance to the unique situation where a SP foot pax is forced to change a booking due to a rail strike when they still really want to travel on the booked day. The impact of this scenario on that sailing's profitability is negligible. 

All that's happened is that pax will see this as an unfair 40+% fine and will go on social media to whinge about the IOM  (which is how I know about it) rather than the SP. That does nobody here any good, quite the reverse.

Sea rail / discounted rail fare differential can very easily exceed the cost of sea part of the fare and it seems nearly as daft to say 'it's your fault for not getting our sea rail' as it would be to say 'claim on your travel insurance.'

It doesn’t really matter what the reason for the need to cancel/change is. It’s the T&C, and if you book a non flexible fare you know you are taking the risk.

I travel a fair bit. Often using ferries. In 26 days we’ve done IoM HEY, Holyhead - DUB, Rosslare-Bilbao, Barcelona-Civitavecchia and Ancona-Igoumenitsa.

Im due back Santander- Portsmouth on 22 February. I’m driving in convoy  5 hours to Bilbao on 21/2. I booked my ticket way back in September. The convoy is me in my Discovery and a classic car that got abandoned in Spain at the start of Covid. Mate flying down and driving back and then flying home, at my expense. That was all booked 31/12/22. 

26/1/23 Brittany Ferries cancelled my returns. There’s no suitable alternative as ferries from Spain to GB are 2 a week in winter as compared to 6 a week in summer.

They also cancelled the GB Spain leg of that rotation and the IRL France rotation of its sister ship.

Reason, their 3rd e-flexer is being blessed in Roscoff and they want it’s two sister ships present.

They've inconvenienced over 4,000 passengers and 200+ freight operations over 4 sailings for a publicity stunt.

I’ve now got to drive 15 hours instead of 5. Up to Normandy!

I contacted and protested. I’ve had a full refund of everything, I’m not having the classic do the drive. So it’s just me. But I kept pushing, and, eventually I’ve got Caen Portsmouth for free, plus a fuel and toll allowance of £165 for the extra drive.. 

Im still miffed. They’ve always intended to do this. Total lack of customer service to cancel for a non reason. Should never have sold tickets for those 4 sailings.

It seems ferry companies just couldn’t care less. 

9 hours ago, Max Power said:

It's not like we had 'high winds' before and I'm sure this will have been taken into consideration in the planning process!

We have been royally f@cked by these people, what ever happened to 'get it bloody done or you pay'?  

You might be interested in what I actually said in Keys:

"The marine works continue to present challenges due to the testing environment and poor recent weather. In the first weeks following the Christmas shutdown high winds hindered progress with the scour protection works in the river due to the inability to operate the crane. Prior to Christmas, approximately 30% of the scour works were in place. Unfortunately, final completion is likely to be affected by the marine works, it seems. I can confirm that the estimated date for completion remains summer 2023, although this date is at risk as indicated clearly in the recent Department of Infrastructure Departmental Plan."

"

3 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

"The marine works continue to present challenges due to the testing environment and poor recent weather. In the first weeks following the Christmas shutdown high winds hindered progress with the scour protection works in the river due to the inability to operate the crane. Prior to Christmas, approximately 30% of the scour works were in place. Unfortunately, final completion is likely to be affected by the marine works, it seems. I can confirm that the estimated date for completion remains summer 2023, although this date is at risk as indicated clearly in the recent Department of Infrastructure Departmental Plan."

"

I would suggest the everything is at risk in the department of infrastructure departmental plan  particularly  the time frames and costings for work packages , in the real construction world  the senior  management of this department would be out on their ear , past time they were sorted out a luxury   ( or liability ) we can no longer afford !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

"

I know a little bit more about this fiasco than I'm prepared to say on here, I know it was nothing to do with you, in fact I don't think any political members are responsible, other than an inability to keep a rein on certain officers. This is a disgrace and the Manx public is tired of all the 'reasons' for delays and hikes in costs! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

other than an inability to keep a rein on certain officers.

They do not have an ability to keep a rein on any officers at any time - note the behaviour during the recent Ranson hearing.   They do have an ability to say "It's nothing to do with me - I'm just a politician".

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I know a little bit more about this fiasco than I'm prepared to say on here, I know it was nothing to do with you, in fact I don't think any political members are responsible, other than an inability to keep a rein on certain officers. This is a disgrace and the Manx public is tired of all the 'reasons' for delays and hikes in costs! 

This should end in a watershed enquiry in the full glare of daylight, and this time lessons really do need to be learned !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3