Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

My Uncle was in the merchant navy, he travelled the world. He's sailed the Atlantic, the Pacific, regularly through the Bay of Biscay, even rounded the Cape of Good Hope in his time.

If you were to ask him what the worst crossing he'd ever known was he would without fail single out Liverpool to Douglas when coming home on leave. I know part of that is to do with the depth of the Irish Sea, but if there's one type of weather this part of the world is known for, it is without a doubt wind.

To say that an already significantly delayed, monumentally over budget project has been further delay due to windy weather in January is bullshit in its purest form. If Chris Thomas had the slightest wit or integrity he wouldn't have repeated such a condescending, nonsensical reason to the Manx public, who I feel would have taken the further setback better were the news broken with some honesty and respect.

thats why the manxman should have been constructed   to full Solas 3 requirements  just wait until bad weather forecast and her passenger carrying capacity is almost halved , or she cant sail  due to predicted wave height , 

time we were getting some answers from Mr Thomas  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

My Uncle was in the merchant navy, he travelled the world. He's sailed the Atlantic, the Pacific, regularly through the Bay of Biscay, even rounded the Cape of Good Hope in his time.

If you were to ask him what the worst crossing he'd ever known was he would without fail single out Liverpool to Douglas when coming home on leave. I know part of that is to do with the depth of the Irish Sea, but if there's one type of weather this part of the world is known for, it is without a doubt wind.

To say that an already significantly delayed, monumentally over budget project has been further delay due to windy weather in January is bullshit in its purest form. If Chris Thomas had the slightest wit or integrity he wouldn't have repeated such a condescending, nonsensical reason to the Manx public, who I feel would have taken the further setback better were the news broken with some honesty and respect.

My father was a doctor with Cunard - said the same about the Irish sea. I just hope the new boat has been designed for this.

• Like 1

I think January's been quite mild this year  certainly temperature-wise, we'll probably get our usual cold spell in March - April, but it's been nothing out of the ordinary to my mind. Some very wet spells but normal British Isles weather for this time of the year IMHO.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

What? I meant more for stopping tower cranes working. But hey, maybe you are right 

You really need to understand what forces are involved. The island is being pulled into a blackhole which it can't escape from.  We are experiencing spaghettification, a term firstly used when a flyover was built in Birmingham.

Just now, Holte End said:

You really need to understand what forces are involved. The island is being pulled into a blackhole which it can't escape from.  We are experiencing spaghettification, a term firstly used when a flyover was built in Birmingham.

What’s the skim off from all this stuff that’s gone out of control? 20% or higher?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BriT said:

What’s the skim off from all this stuff that’s gone out of control? 20% or higher?

Probably 100% if you're a contractor's employee in Liverpool who's got a few other projects on the go.... 😂

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BriT said:

No skim off, What we have here is the " tube of toothpaste effect".  The rotating black hole the island has placed itself in has induce acceleration of costs , you can see the event horizon of today,When we really  to be in the ergosphere to keep costs down..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

What a rant.

"The marine works continue to present challenges due to the testing environment .....prior to Christmas, approximately 30% of the scour works were in place. Unfortunately, final completion is likely to be affected by the marine works".

That is true. Marine works, especially scour works, continue to present challenges due to the testing environment and these are likely to affect the final completion date.

In addition, "in the first weeks following the Christmas shutdown high winds hindered progress with the scour protection works in the river due to the inability to operate the crane".

That is also true. The contractors' work seems to have been affected for some days after Christmas because of high winds.

Why the vitriol, and what did you want me to say in this short answer?

Edited by Chris Thomas

1 hour ago, Chris Thomas said:

What a rant.

"The marine works continue to present challenges due to the testing environment .....prior to Christmas, approximately 30% of the scour works were in place. Unfortunately, final completion is likely to be affected by the marine works".

That is true. Marine works, especially scour works, continue to present challenges due to the testing environment and these are likely to affect the final completion date.

In addition, "in the first weeks following the Christmas shutdown high winds hindered progress with the scour protection works in the river due to the inability to operate the crane".

That is also true. The contractors' work seems to have been affected for some days after Christmas because of high winds.

Why the vitriol, and what did you want me to say in this short answer?

"A few days of bad weather" = many months behind and many millions more over budget!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chris Thomas said:

I did not say that. I cited Hansard of what I said above, and simplified it in another comment. Hope that helps?

Mr Thomas, is there an actual project plan with budgets and time estimates?  I've never know a project to run with no budget and projections in the private sector.

Surely any budget plan should be a public document?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Mr Thomas, is there an actual project plan with budgets and time estimates?  I've never know a project to run with no budget and projections in the private sector.

Surely any budget plan should be a public document?

You could always submit an FOI?

Probably come back saying its commercially sensitive, declined.

• Like 1