Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Liverpool is not a great link, Heysham is fine for passenger travel.  A bit further up, but not so much so that it would be an inhibitor to tourist travel.  Liverpool is actually a bit of a pig to get to the docks, through most of the city before you get to Pier Head and then you have to sit with your car so no exploring.  Any slight advantage has been lost by the astronomic cost of a fantasy fulfilling project. 

Sorry Gladys I don't agree, Heysham is in the back of beyond and I'm sure that it contributed to the decline of the tourist trade. The railhead there looks like the ramp at Auschwitz and the facilities are not much better.  

There's a much bigger potential market in Liverpool and the surrounding area.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That should have rung huge alarm bells, But, no, the shouters wanted a direct link into Liverpool regardless.  After all it is part of our culture to be able to go to a football match or be dropped off in the heart of the city for some shopping.  Not to mention the halt and lame having to go to hospital in Liverpool ( who couldn’t otherwise fly). 

You've put your finger on it there Gladys. Yes it is part of our culture to go to somewhere where there is more life, be that shopping, football, museums, art galleries etc and medical facilities that the Island can’t provide due to economies of scale. What is so wrong with that? 
All Heysham is is a piece of land that you can sail to and provides you with somewhere to start land travel from in the UK to wherever you may want to go to.

I know of no one that regards Heysham as a travel destination in its own right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You've put your finger on it there Gladys. Yes it is part of our culture to go to somewhere where there is more life, be that shopping, football, museums, art galleries etc and medical facilities that the Island can’t provide due to economies of scale. What is so wrong with that? 
All Heysham is is a piece of land that you can sail to and provides you with somewhere to start land travel from in the UK to wherever you may want to go to.

Hey, I've had a holiday in Heysham!

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

I am not saying it is, but it is what it is, an access point.  You can still go to Liverpool by air and that is how I have gone to go to a concert or whatever other delights Liverpool offers. 

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Sorry Gladys I don't agree, Heysham is in the back of beyond and I'm sure that it contributed to the decline of the tourist trade. The railhead there looks like the ramp at Auschwitz and the facilities are not much better.  

There's a much bigger potential market in Liverpool and the surrounding area.  

Heysham is literally up the road.  No one, apart from Finlo, goes to Heysham for itself,  but it is an access point.  That is all.

Tourism declined because it became as cheap, and easy, to go somewhere with guaranteed hot weather and going somewhere 'foreign', not because Heysham became the main access point, which happened way after tourism fell off a cliff here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I agree with all the above but at what point is / was it too much to get to Liverpool ?

I would suggest that what will be 100 million, plus ongoing running costs which maybe aren't even projected, is way too much for that convenience !

The purchase of the SPCO may have been a good move ( although most private investors would guffaw at 120 million ) it certainly looks a bit pricey at costs over 300 million with a new boat and Liverpool, plus ongoing costs.

A friend of mine said anything government touch will end up costing more in the long run and I fear he is correct !

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

What a rant.

"The marine works continue to present challenges due to the testing environment .....prior to Christmas, approximately 30% of the scour works were in place. Unfortunately, final completion is likely to be affected by the marine works".

That is true. Marine works, especially scour works, continue to present challenges due to the testing environment and these are likely to affect the final completion date.

In addition, "in the first weeks following the Christmas shutdown high winds hindered progress with the scour protection works in the river due to the inability to operate the crane".

That is also true. The contractors' work seems to have been affected for some days after Christmas because of high winds.

Why the vitriol, and what did you want me to say in this short answer?

What a rant? Why the vitriol? Perhaps its because every project this and previous governments have been involved with always turns into a shambles. It's OK for you in your ivory tower with your £70K a year and gold plated pension, but many of those who are funding it can barely afford to feed themselves.

Why the vitriol? This project is many tens of millions of pounds over budget, now you're telling us it's going to be even later than though because of marine conditions and a bit of wind in January. Why not just be honest and say it's been monumentally cocked up from the start and continues to be by people who are paid handsomely enough to get it right?

What did I want you to say in this short answer? How about some kind of acknowledgement of how the Manx public have well and truly had their pants pulled down by the complete negligence of their government in respect to this scheme as well as many others? This tens of millions of extras that have been caused by poor planning and implementation of this, the prom, the NSC to name but a few would have been much better spent easing the burden on the increasingly impoverished people you expect to pay for it. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Heysham is literally up the road.  No one, apart from Finlo, goes to Heysham for itself,  but it is an access point.  That is all.

Tourism declined because it became as cheap, and easy, to go somewhere with guaranteed hot weather and going somewhere 'foreign', not because Heysham became the main access point, which happened way after tourism fell off a cliff here. 

I didn’t say it caused the decline but I’m convinced that it contributed to it.

You really have to want to come to the island now, the thought of trudging to Heysham puts me off, and I live here!

I’m not sticking up for the current terminal fiasco, but Heysham reflects all of our ambition and achievements, crappy!

• Like 1