Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

57 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

That's what the UK government have been asking in Liverpool 

It would be very interesting to know whether all the money is going directly into the construction or whether some is being 'lost' along the way.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Max Power said:

The original was £FOC and then £9m. What level of incompetence took us to £38m and then allowed a typo of £53m? It really is quite frightening and I can only imagine that our elected tame monkeys have been silenced? 

I'm plumping for £60 million anyway, to be on the safe side.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, asitis said:

No doubt all the historical commerciality of this deal will be commercially confidential, it would however be interesting to see at what point the deal changed and why. Peel Ports have a track record of building things with other peoples money and if ever there was an organisation prime for being taken for a ride well it is IOMG.

The Steam Packet acquisition I have always thought was too costly, even though I am told a good move. However at the eye watering costs, top loaded at the moment, it will be some time before we reach the sunlit uplands!

Correct. Peel Ports use very little of their own money and will only develop something of any substance if they have a tenant already signed up with the finances in place... think BBC and Salford. 

• Like 2

I seem to recall that when the IoM Terminal was first announced, comparisons were quickly drawn with a PP terminal development across the river (12 Quays?) and what any cost comparison would be.

I suppose the question is, if PP (or anybody else) were building an IoM-type Terminal for their own operations, would it be costing £38M<?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, asitis said:

Peel Ports have a track record of building things with other peoples money and if ever there was an organisation prime for being taken for a ride well it is IOMG.

I had a phone call this morning from a former MHK who was providing me with some info relating to a local charity. Said ex-politico tells me that behind the scenes Quayle is bricking it over this. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I had a phone call this morning from a former MHK who was providing me with some info relating to a local charity. Said ex-politico tells me that behind the scenes Quayle is bricking it over this. 

Well, now is the time to be turning the screws, before this fiasco has a chance to be covered up!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I seem to recall that when the IoM Terminal was first announced, comparisons were quickly drawn with a PP terminal development across the river (12 Quays?) and what any cost comparison would be.

I suppose the question is, if PP (or anybody else) were building an IoM-type Terminal for their own operations, would it be costing £38M<?

Don't be daft!.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, monasqueen said:

Why should we be surprised that the cost doubles every time anyone looks at it?

It is in Liverpool, and Peel Ports (and their various contractors etc.) are building it.

Any guesses as to when it will be finished? (And what the final cost will be?)

£85,000,000 75p.!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Twitch said:

Agree Max, if it had been a typo on an official answer to a Tynwald question then surely the 'error' should have been publicly acknowledged and corrected at the earliest opportunity.

The interesting thing about this is that, as I pointed out earlier, it was an official Keys Question from Barber and they seem to have gone to some effort not to make it an official answer.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I found Barber's question paper with the alleged Terminal typo again, it's still on Jason Moorhouse's FB page.

I wonder how one typos £38M into £53,108,000? And without initially noticing it on an official Govt document too?

20210412_150640.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
ETA Tidied screenshot up
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, asitis said:

....it came out as "you've ruined my life you bitch"

Maybe that's what Howard's saying to Mrs Barber just now....😂

£53,108,000 is a very specific number though, one might wonder how it was arrived at by a typo? Maybe it was erroneously transposed from another Govt project, but which one? Unless it's a projection for the Prom?

The alternative of course is that it's kosher and Barber (and Moorhouse) have (inadvertently?) let the cat out of the bag by revealing and publishing it to the public?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2