Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

42 minutes ago, asitis said:

How has this has been approved, time after time as the expenditure was grossly exceeded. 

Taxpayers money is meaningless to these idiots

They got us into a hole and the only way out of it is to keep digging, by their own admission. That means throwing as much public money at it as it takes. Apparently. The inability to provide a final figure does not auger well though and could suggest that there is more to come, manufacture of fresh excuses willing.

Fortunately PAC are on the case so we can all sleep soundly at nights. For now.

Or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can guarantee that now the extra £10m contingency has been publicly announced not a penny of it will be coming back to treasury. It would be like telling a  cowboy builder who has already charged you three times his quote for your kitchen extension that you've only got a grand left to finish the job. I'm guessing his final invoice wouldn't be for £250 would it.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the robbing bastards come back for more once this £10m has gone.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a one off, but the prom, the NSC, infact any government capital project you care to name goes well over time and is eventually given carte blanche to finish it off. A bloody shambles!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

Manxman will do one round trip every Saturday and Sunday November to March. Just like BMC used to do to Birkenhead.

Don't count on it this winter. Try finding winter Liverpool sailings in the on line timetable.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2017 at 6:04 PM, Frances said:

just tax HNWIs - most, with a few honourable exceptions, give nothing back being on Island (when not using it as a cheap heliport to their day job in UK) only to avoid UK tax whilst tax for lower paid Manx residents is now very close to UK levels.

I disagree HNWs only contribute. They don’t use public transport, pay loads of ‘road tax’ on expensive cars, have private health care so don’t clog up hospitals, use the air links regularly (or provide revenue to the airport from private jets), hire cleaners, personal trainers, chefs, gardeners etc. they only contribute to the economy while not having to make use of public services - in my opinion whatever they contribute to the island is net positive even if they pay less tax than they would in the UK. Over-tax them and the go to Jersey etc and we lose out. I think people don’t like rich people because they’re rich. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

I disagree HNWs only contribute. They don’t use public transport, pay loads of ‘road tax’ on expensive cars, have private health care so don’t clog up hospitals, use the air links regularly (or provide revenue to the airport from private jets), hire cleaners, personal trainers, chefs, gardeners etc. they only contribute to the economy while not having to make use of public services - in my opinion whatever they contribute to the island is net positive even if they pay less tax than they would in the UK. Over-tax them and the go to Jersey etc and we lose out. I think people don’t like rich people because they’re rich. 

I take it you haven’t seen the new rules for HNW in Jersey then? 

5 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Should have got the guys in who are building Evertons new stadium not far away, went past it the other week looking very impressive and only cost 500 million. Imagine the type of sea terminal that they could have built for 100 million haha

Why? Is all rosy in that garden or something?

https://frontofficesports.com/everton-new-stadium-projected-cost-678m/