Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

So according to Alf, nobody would have embarked on the Terminal if they had known what the costs would be (MR News). Nobody in their right mind anyway, but we had Gawne and Black so that makes it OK then. Interestingly, also claims that opportunities to break or review the project were missed.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

So according to Alf, nobody would have embarked on the Terminal if they had known what the costs would be (MR News). Nobody in their right mind anyway, but we had Gawne and Black so that makes it OK then. Interestingly, also claims that opportunities to break or review the project were missed.

Why didn’t CM Cannan do something, say something or do anything whilst he was a COMIN member, both as DHA Minister, Treasury Minister and currently Chief Minister? What do the COMIN meetings talk about? Surely as a previous Treasury Minister, what did he know or do regarding the Liverpool Ferry Terminal? It seems he authorised payments but obviously hasn’t commented about the costs until now - when his back is against the wall and he is under political pressure. I expect our politicos to waste money, but I expect our ‘leader’ to have the balls to challenge and put a stop to waste. 

CM Cannans best comment ‘there will have to be a government led review’. Leave it to the civil servants then! It should be a full independent legal review, with powers to compel witnesses give evidence. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Why didn’t CM Cannan do something, say something or do anything whilst he was a COMIN member, both as DHA Minister, Treasury Minister and currently Chief Minister? What do the COMIN meetings talk about? Surely as a previous Treasury Minister, what did he know or do regarding the Liverpool Ferry Terminal? It seems he authorised payments but obviously hasn’t commented about the costs until now - when his back is against the wall and he is under political pressure. I expect our politicos to waste money, but I expect our ‘leader’ to have the balls to challenge and put a stop to waste. 

Yes it’s mind blowing how so many ministers and even chief minister forget their previous responsibilities . Cannan and his Treasury reign being a classic example. What the hell do they do when in office. Clearly no oversight of what finances are being used for it would seem. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes it’s mind blowing how so many ministers and even chief minister forget their previous responsibilities . Cannan and his Treasury reign being a classic example. What the hell do they do when in office. Clearly no oversight of what finances are being used for it would seem. 

Did CM Cannan ever challenge the costs? Did he raise the topic at COMIN meetings, and did he ever challenge ex CM Quayle? He can’t turn around and say it wasn’t his place to say anything. I believe he is as culpable as many other politicos and civil servants. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Did CM Cannan ever challenge the costs? Did he raise the topic at COMIN meetings, and did he ever challenge ex CM Quayle? He can’t turn around and say it wasn’t his place to say anything. I believe he is as culpable as many other politicos and civil servants. 

And this is why there’s a mess a few years down the road with infrastructure schemes . I remember well when Princess Anne was arriving and Quayle being asked was she being shown the prom. All Quayle did was laugh. What an absolute tool. And this sums up the attitude by Government Ministers to anything that goes wrong. Nothing to do with me fella. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

He also referred to there being at least 2 points where the thing could have been abandoned.  Of course 20:20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, but .......

Ex Treasury Minister currently CM Cannan was in charge of the islands purse strings. He had influence along with the ‘team’ of civil servants. Or did Professor Ashford convince him that the project was a goer?

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s been in and out of Douglas harbour 3 or 4 dozen times in the last 4 weeks and probably ten times in and out of Heysham. Has anyone seen it being pushed or towed by a tug? Any photographic evidence? It’d be all over the internet.

SPCo May have a tug on call in early day testing. Let’s just hope Mx isn’t a Monas Isle type white elephant.

My information is it scraped the harbour wall, and for winter the tug we have is insufficient. I do hope the costs of using it don't spiral out of control as in the current climate fare increases may well be counterproductive !

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Ex Treasury Minister currently CM Cannan was in charge of the islands purse strings. He had influence along with the ‘team’ of civil servants. Or did Professor Ashford convince him that the project was a goer?

I really don’t get it. Clearly the real picture is the Minister seemingly has zero oversight or knowledge as to what’s going on in their departments. The expenditure on the landing stage and public displeasure over it you’d think would mean the Treasury minister to want to know outlay at every step. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, asitis said:

My information is it scraped the harbour wall, and for winter the tug we have is insufficient. I do hope the costs of using it don't spiral out of control as in the current climate fare increases may well be counterproductive !

Don’t think we actually have a tug. Belongs to Laxey Towing company I believe 

• Like 2