Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

There's a perfectly serviceable train from Heysham to Lancaster Station that departs within the hour of the boat arriving during the week. From Lancaster you can connect anywhere by rail. All without spending £100M.

Lime St station is also at least a bus trip or a £10 taxi ride from the current pier head.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

There's a pain in the arse slow train from Heysham to Lancaster Station that sometimes departs within the hour of the boat arriving during the week. From Lancaster you can connect to some places by rail albeit with infrequent journeys and lots of changes on slow and overloaded old trains. All without spending £100M.

Lime St station is also at least a bus trip or a £10 taxi ride from the current pier head. But is also only a 10min walk

Fixed

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But what would be the rationale for so doing if the boat no longer went to Liverpool?
You could equally make a case for laying on transport say to Manchester or Birmingham 

I'm sorry I'm lost now, you say people are desperate to get to Liverpool for the reasons you outlined, now you say what would be the rationale in providing decent transport for those foot passengers to do so !

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

There's a perfectly serviceable train from Heysham to Lancaster Station that departs within the hour of the boat arriving during the week. From Lancaster you can connect anywhere by rail. All without spending £100M.

Lime St station is also at least a bus trip or a £10 taxi ride from the current pier head.

It's a pain in the arse to be a foot passenger through Heysham. Last time I did it I had to wait an hour for the train to Lancaster and then had a further wait there. The facilities at Heysham were a vending machine. Last time through Liverpool I was in Liverpool One in minutes. National Express Coaches leave from there regularly to all over the country, Lancaster is much more intermittent. Lime Street is a walkable distance through one of the most vibrant cities in the country with a great choice of cuisine or take the £3 train from James Street. If you're early for the return boat and have to kill an hour or two there's museums within a few hundred yards of the pier head. Frankly, Heysham is useless for a day trip and even a weekend trip would mean it's mid Saturday Afternoon before you're anywhere with a High Street, a football stadium, or concert hall.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Not everyone is desperate to get to Liverpool. Look at  the number of cars on board, several people in each, that's probably a considerable % of the Pax on board?

But nobody is suggesting we just use Liverpool. There's a few entitled car drivers bleating because they might get caught in traffic for a few minutes - well they can still go via Heysham. But without Liverpool you would be adding hours to foot passengers journey and £'s of expense - these are likely to be younger and low income passengers. Should their opportunities be reduced? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Fixed

Lime St station is also at least a bus trip or a £10 taxi ride from the current pier head. But is also only a 10min walk

Come off it. 10 minutes from the Packet berth to Lime Street??? Are you a race walker?

Try it with luggage, too.

52 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Come off it. 10 minutes from the Packet berth to Lime Street??? Are you a race walker?

Try it with luggage, too.

10mins. No problem. 15mins for a slower walker yes . The pint was, Heysham is a terrible transportation hub compared to Liverpool. There are times when that train does not run at all.

Back on topic

This debacle need a full investigation by the police.

There is something very very wrong here.

It only bothers me because it will increase my ferry rate when I go back to the rock to pick up stuff but there is no way on earth that little shed on a Half Tide dock should have cost that much.

Civil engineering mates I have jousted with about this have laughed their heads of over the cost.

FFS Everton got a stadium for not a lot more....