Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

No it isn’t, latest estimates are £760m ie 50% over initial estimates & may increase more yet.

so blade runner will end up being correct then........................................................

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Cannan recently quoted a cost of £90 million. If we assume that £40 million is the cost of the terminal building and the ramp, what kind of voids would it take to require an extra £50 million to fix? If at the start the voids were known about, would they have been estimated at £50 million (or thereabouts) to fix?

I'll bet covid cost about £30M at least. Then add extra work required for the fact that the effect of the bow thrusters was not taken into account. It kind of adds up to a disaster. 

I bet its not even in the top 100 construction projects that have gone wrong in the last 3 years. 

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'll bet covid cost about £30M at least. Then add extra work required for the fact that the effect of the bow thrusters was not taken into account. It kind of adds up to a disaster. 

I bet its not even in the top 100 construction projects that have gone wrong in the last 3 years. 

Who cares about the top 100 elsewhere.   It is the top here.

• Like 7

The second biggest financial calamity since the mea saga.  No heads rolled for that, and none will for this.   I note Chris t mentioned that the doi are just the customer and the responsibility for the failure lies with the contractor.  If that was the case we didn't we pull the plug at the first 14 million make when they requested.more?  Or the 35 when our mhks stated that they wouldn't vote through another increase?

Now we are cutting govt services.  Honestly this island is managed by either morons or crooks.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

But it was originally supposed to finished late 2020, so most of the spending should have been done (or at least contracted) before Covid hit in that case.  And the Manxman was specified before the Terminal was, so there was no excuse for not getting it designed correctly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it was originally supposed to finished late 2020, so most of the spending should have been done (or at least contracted) before Covid hit in that case.  And the Manxman was specified before the Terminal was, so there was no excuse for not getting it designed correctly.

The site was mobilised and staff were employed by the contractor and some consultants. Plant was on hire. All had to b paid for.....by us😥.

For months and months. 

Yes no excuse for the manxman cock up

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

Who cares about the top 100 elsewhere.   It is the top here.

True. But totally irrelevant. The point was what happened was not unusual or an isolated case caused by mistakes. The contract was run in the UK under UK rules and regulations including COVID. 

10 hours ago, cissolt said:

The second biggest financial calamity since the mea saga.  No heads rolled for that, and none will for this.   I note Chris t mentioned that the doi are just the customer and the responsibility for the failure lies with the contractor.  If that was the case we didn't we pull the plug at the first 14 million make when they requested.more?  Or the 35 when our mhks stated that they wouldn't vote through another increase?

Now we are cutting govt services.  Honestly this island is managed by either morons or crooks.

What mistakes were made by the contractor? 

In the end, it all comes down to politics. We got kicked off the Pier Head Terminal. It was decided that we had to have a Liverpool terminal, when other options might have been explored. The disaster option was chosen because it was near the Pier Head and enabled the Island (but mainly the politicians) look like they had maintained status. The disaster terminal had, therefore, to be agreed and secured quickly. In doing so, inadequate surveys and studies were commissioned and agreed by DoI, who applied insufficient expertise to the design and management of the project. Once the disaster unfolded, those responsible in high-officialdom and politics, didn’t have the courage to abandon the project and admit the initial error and resume the search for alternatives. The rest is history.

The errors made should be exposed in a proper enquiry into the project. However, I doubt that this will ever happen or the results be made public. It’s not how we do it. We will just moan; quietly suffer the consequences and let the idiocy continue. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@ Happier Diner - Your unstinting defence of the project including the knowledge suggested in your last 3 posts might suggest a remarkable familiarity with the project, perhaps even bordering on connection?

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

@ Happier Diner - Your unstinting defence of the project including the knowledge suggested in your last 3 posts might suggest a remarkable familiarity with the project, perhaps even bordering on connection?

If you bothered your arse to read my posts you would see that that is absolutely not true. I have never defended it. I have been very critical if it.

All I have done is correct ignorant posts in here where people do not understand how construction contracts work.

I don't profess to be an expert but I ma far from ignorant of the subject. I have been on the right side and the wrong side of the. For many years and I have seen how they have changed over the years. Any I have said is true to the best of my knowledge.

If you would prefer to let ignorance and misunderstanding propagate on here then keep making your posts. .