Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

16 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

They seem to change the one way system every time I go. I've never been through the tunnel before and had difficulty even finding it and then when we came back I still missed it! I think my sense of direction is poor........maybe.

I suggest you hand back your driving licence if you can't read signs. This is the one outside the crowne plaza 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZCfMvpxeDKAvpM1C6

Not to mention using sat nav either on your phone or in-car.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That very helpfully says 17 minutes to the existing terminal and 36 minutes to the new one.

Current solution is walk from the ferry terminal and get the train at Moorfields or James Street. Change at Lime St or Liverpool South Parkway or Chester - depending on where you're going

Edited by newaccount

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

If you would prefer to let ignorance and misunderstanding propagate on here then keep making your posts. .

There's plenty on here including yourself that could fulfil that preference, were it so.

• Like 1

I for one am sick of the mantra, If you look across the world other construction has gone wrong. Try parking at an airport in the UK and see how much it costs. This is how much it costs to buy a mute in Dubrovnik, it makes not one iota. The cost was supposed to have been thrashed out and agreed by the power house of the DOI vastly experienced engineering and legal teams. But time and time again we seem to be taken for a ride, no penalty clauses except if we do not pay we can go fuck ourselves and see we will see you in court. Oh don't forget your check book you did not state this in the contract so you will lose, You bunch of local retards your playing with the big boys now

• Like 1

Having just listened to Chris Thomas on Manx Radio and his bumbling defence of the Liverpool terminal project, he leaves me (as usual) flabbergasted. He may be disappointed with the CM and his comments that nobody would have agreed to the terminal, had they known the final cost but does he not see that the rest of us are even more disappointed with DoI that the risks and potential costs were not understood before project commencement? This is not just additional costs resulting from unforeseen developments; it is an incredible escalation in costs resulting from dreadful project planning, which his £5m contingency comes nowhere near covering. It’s a fraction of the total escalation. Even now, he seems to have little concept of the final cost (“£90 million, or whatever”). I think he and the rest of the fools we elect need to start accepting that this performance is simply not good enough. I suspect his prediction of income (£1m a year) for 230 years is based on little appreciation or understanding of the future dredging or maintenance liabilities. £1 million income could soon disappear into an annual deficit and there will be few of us who expect, given past experience, that any income will accrue at all. It’s time these feeble excuses of politicians were interrogated properly by our media and not just given opportunities to express their pathetic excuses on air, but given that danger we would probably never hear from them at all and they would further scuttle into the dark corners. I despair, yet again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, joebean said:

Having just listened to Chris Thomas on Manx Radio and his bumbling defence of the Liverpool terminal project, he leaves me (as usual) flabbergasted. He may be disappointed with the CM and his comments that nobody would have agreed to the terminal, had they known the final cost but does he not see that the rest of us are even more disappointed with DoI that the risks and potential costs were not understood before project commencement? This is not just additional costs resulting from unforeseen developments; it is an incredible escalation in costs resulting from dreadful project planning, which his £5m contingency comes nowhere near covering. It’s a fraction of the total escalation. Even now, he seems to have little concept of the final cost (“£90 million, or whatever”). I think he and the rest of the fools we elect need to start accepting that this performance is simply not good enough. I suspect his prediction of income (£1m a year) for 230 years is based on little appreciation or understanding of the future dredging or maintenance liabilities. £1 million income could soon disappear into an annual deficit and there will be few of us who expect, given past experience, that any income will accrue at all. It’s time these feeble excuses of politicians were interrogated properly by our media and not just given opportunities to express their pathetic excuses on air, but given that danger we would probably never hear from them at all and they would further scuttle into the dark corners. I despair, yet again. 

For what %of the project was he in charge?

I thought he made some good points. I'm not a great fan TBH but on this occasion he is right and cannan is wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

For what %of the project was he in charge?

I thought he made some good points. I'm not a great fan TBH but on this occasion he is right and cannan is wrong. 

Rather than bumbling along with his feeble explanations and victimhood, he should be demonstrating some understanding of the issues that led to this mess and how and why it couldn’t happen again. I didn’t hear any good points but I am definitely not a fan and never have been. He is absolutely useless and has achieved virtually nothing. Others might believe differently, as evidenced by his re-election. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, joebean said:

Rather than bumbling along with his feeble explanations and victimhood, he should be demonstrating some understanding of the issues that led to this mess and how and why it couldn’t happen again. I didn’t hear any good points but I am definitely not a fan and never have been. He is absolutely useless and has achieved virtually nothing. Others might believe differently, as evidenced by his re-election. 

It was pretty damning that neither the promenade nor the ferry terminal have had any details of the costs published.  No government project can begin without proper costing in place.  Why is it such a secret? Is it because it's been an absolute cluster fuck?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cissolt said:

It was pretty damning that neither the promenade nor the ferry terminal have had any details of the costs published.  No government project can begin without proper costing in place.  Why is it such a secret? Is it because it's been an absolute cluster fuck?

Realistically the Prom was probably in the right ballpark on cost/programme for that type of project, and other than the tram track fiasco & COVID was fairly undramatic by standards of equivalent projects. Yes it's not what the local 🦀 s want to hear but anything 3km long is going to cost in that region.

Landing stage was always in a completely different league, up there with the MEA fiasco.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, joebean said:

If he wasn't in charge long enough to take any responsibility for what's gone on then he hasn't been in charge for long enough to have any in-depth understanding of what's gone on either IMHO. He can't have it both ways.

His purpose was served in as much as not only did he simply unquestioningly regurgitate what he was being told (as did those before him), he also embellished it as well, as is his forte. DOI heaven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joebean said:

Never mind the annual cost of running the place and keeping it dredged.

I would be far more concerned how much it will cost when against a tide/ river flow and poor wind conditions the linkspan is mangled on a regular basis............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1