Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

Looking forward to this Sunday's 'Perspective' programme on Manx Radio when former DOI Minister, Phil Gawne, is interviewed by Manx Radio's political correspondent, Phil Gawne, on his part in the huge problems and overspend suffered in the Liverpool Landing Stage development.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Twitch said:

Looking forward to this Sunday's 'Perspective' programme on Manx Radio when former DOI Minister, Phil Gawne, is interviewed by Manx Radio's political correspondent, Phil Gawne, on his part in the huge problems and overspend suffered in the Liverpool Landing Stage development.

I think Phil Gawne was at DOI about 2010-11 when DLGE became DOI. The Liverpool terminal project didn't really start until 2015 when the first options were put forward.

1 minute ago, asitis said:

Maybe ask the drawling Gawne why the SPCO is not subject to FOI ?

Because it's not a public authority although other bodies listed are also 'at arms length' from IOM government.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/freedom-of-information/how-to-make-a-freedom-of-information-request/public-authorities-under-freedom-of-information-law/

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

So that's just two people who have been held to any sort of account for this debacle, Black, arguably directly, and Gawne who failed at re-election for what could also have been a myriad of other reasons. So two years ago and at election in 2016(?), whilst this was still developing and both well before the full scale of this became known.

What I am getting at here is that unless sackings follow this report then nobody has been dismissed or accountable for this, anybody else who was involved then is squeaky-clean and is away, scot-free?

ETA.. just a few thoughts from iomtoday FB comments. Has the report touched on any of this?

Screenshot_20231116-140715_Facebook.jpg

Only one person can be accountable. Everyone else is only responsible. You can't really sack the minions as (I keep saying) they never had a chance. Can you imagine the employment tribunal?

Advocate - "So, Mr DOI engineer, you were sacked for the overspend and late delivery of the project. Why is that harsh"

DOI Engineer. "Well it was hopelessly under budgeted for and badly conceived with no planning or proper investigation. I never had a chance"

Judge " He has a point. He was unfairly dismissed. Pay him the damages"

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I think Phil Gawne was at DOI about 2010-11 when DLGE became DOI. The Liverpool terminal project didn't really start until 2015 when the first options were put forward.

He was at DoI after Brown's reorganisation in 2010 and was moved to DEFA in 2011, to be followed at DoI by Cretney and then Skelly.  But after Bell's reorganisation in 2014, Gawne was moved back to DoI in July 2014, staying there till the voters dumped him in 2016.  Helpful diagrams here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Ministers_of_the_Isle_of_Man

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Only one person can be accountable. Everyone else is only responsible. You can't really sack the minions as (I keep saying) they never had a chance. Can you imagine the employment tribunal?

Advocate - "So, Mr DOI engineer, you were sacked for the overspend and late delivery of the project. Why is that harsh"

DOI Engineer. "Well it was hopelessly under budgeted for and badly conceived with no planning or proper investigation. I never had a chance"

Judge " He has a point. He was unfairly dismissed. Pay him the damages"

So who was responsible for the under-budgeting and finances?

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

He was DOI Minister 2014-2016 too

(as already pointed out by Roger)

Edited by Twitch
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

So who was responsible for the under-budgeting and finances?

You tell me. Doesn't the report say who? I'll have a read tomorrow. The decision to go ahead was made on some ridiculous forecast made in the Gawne Brown era. Then a pre design estimate was made by an engineering consultant. I think thats when it jumped to 20 something. Anyone with half a brain would have known that a construction like that would be over £30M and even an amoeba would know it wasn't going to be £2M . Add in COVID and the results of the poor pre investigation and then the not catering for the scour of the new boat. The rest is history