Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

On 1/12/2024 at 9:49 AM, Omobono said:

massive Chinese supermarket and food palace just along the dock road ,   the area is always full of Chinese and orientals 

Liverpool China Town is off Great George Street,  it’s a bloody good walk to the Liverpool Isle of Man Town.  And still no chips cheese and gravy. 

22 hours ago, P.K. said:

Public transport at Heysham is almost non-existent.

There's a train weekday lunchtimes, to link with the boat, and there's a bus up the road (Its terminus is just before the roundabout.).

Liverpool railway stations are a good walk from the Steam Packet berth (and will become much further when the new terminal opens). Yes, I know there are people who can get to James Street in 5 minutes, but try that if you are not athletic and have suitcases, and it's raining. There's no longer a bus station at the Pier Head, and buses are (and will be?) a bit hit and miss. You've more or less got to get a taxi, and fortunately there are usually plenty of them at present. (Will that change when the new terminal opens?)

Road access to/from Heysham, for those with cars, is far superior than Liverpool.

I was on the Manxman this morning, 8am departure, alongside at Heysham and foot passengers discharged by 11.40am.

The single train departs at 1.15pm....

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was on the Manxman this morning, 8am departure, alongside at Heysham and foot passengers discharged by 11.40am.

It was better before the train line went there. You'd get off the boat and get onto a bus to Lancaster Station.

38 minutes ago, Declan said:

It was better before the train line went there. You'd get off the boat and get onto a bus to Lancaster Station.

There is a 50% increase in the summer passenger capacity. Some will be with a car, but nevertheless they're goin' to need a bigger bus (or train).

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

That's a hell of a wait in these temperatures. 

No, the Steamie waiting room was open for departing (by train) travellers as well as those arriving

22 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Weekdays, departure from Douglas is normally scheduled for 08.45, and Manxman was, until recently, (has something been done to her?) taking 4 hours to get to Heysham. Then you have to collect any luggage. Just about right time to get the train.

8 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Weekdays, departure from Douglas is normally scheduled for 08.45, and Manxman was, until recently, (has something been done to her?) taking 4 hours to get to Heysham. Then you have to collect any luggage. Just about right time to get the train.

The sailings were brought forward a couple of weeks back due to the staffing shortage which occurred over the dispute. I thought that had been at least temporarily resolved but the sailing time hadn't reverted. I think that there's since been an announcement about further changes due to the perennial silting problem at Heysham too.

It was a very smooth crossing too and the ship is beautifully appointed though it's a work of art to get her turned for docking in the confines of Heysham Harbour with the extra size.