Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I wonder if we'll get a technical explanation for these tidal conditions? A truthful one?

It's a really low tide bang on docking time.  Hence why waiting an hour for a bit more water. 

image.png.0a6df905717e5827f79588d681fa6588.png

The Dock is a "blind" though, a sort of cul-de-sac, is it not, with its open mouth facing upstream into the flow of the Mersey?

In which case it will act as a natural sediment trap for material being washed along by the river.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It's a really low tide bang on docking time.  Hence why waiting an hour for a bit more water. 

That’s for Douglas, a fully tidal harbour, with a tiny river, rather than a full estuary with huge amounts of river water. 

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s for Douglas, a fully tidal harbour, with a tiny river, rather than a full estuary with huge amounts of river water. 

They're claiming 'Tidal Issues' at the same time as lowtide (which in Liverpool is 30 mins later than Douglas).  Completely unrelated I'm sure. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

But it’s not a really low tide, they’ll occur on Spring tides when it’s HW around Noon/Midnight and low around 6 in the morning and evening. Wind and air pressure also play a significant part as well, today with SW winds and low pressure the tide will hold in more than predicted conversely with High pressure ( can anyone remember one ) and NE winds it’ll push it out more so I’d be expecting significant problems on the afternoon sailings to Liverpool around the Spring tides if in fact it is a tidal problem 

It just exposes the foolishness of ploughing ahead with this project in this location and at this cost !

The taxpayers deserve a full and frank enquiry or this shit is going to keep happening, the phrase lessons have been learned is insufficient to cover the enormity of this fuck up !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

That was just a “tunnel” to protect foot passengers from the elements between Sea Terminal and ship. Did it have a hydraulic walkway with changing level to embark?.

I don’t think it was so hi tec,  out of the walkway and up the gang plank.  But then I could be wrong.  

13 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

They're claiming 'Tidal Issues' at the same time as lowtide (which in Liverpool is 30 mins later than Douglas).  Completely unrelated I'm sure. 

Yes, but because of the river water level the range isn’t anything like as big

2 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:

I don’t think it was so hi tec,  out of the walkway and up the gang plank.  But then I could be wrong.  

That’s my recollection

The water on the Mersey can be unpredictable,  the Mersey Ferries have to stand off a berth either side of the river to let a squall blow through, too dangerous to try to get alongside. I have been on the little SeaCat when they have held the cars from disembarking due to the cat bouncing around on the old landing stage.  The new berth could be difficult quite often. I bet they have tug assistance a lot 

Edited by Manxman2000

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

The Dock is a "blind" though, a sort of cul-de-sac, is it not, with its open mouth facing upstream into the flow of the Mersey?

In which case it will act as a natural sediment trap for material being washed along by the river.

Makes you wonder why that dock gate was put out of use a long time ago. It was out of use when HMS Eaglet was there. That’s going back about 40 plus years. 

35 minutes ago, Manxman2000 said:

Makes you wonder why that dock gate was put out of use a long time ago. It was out of use when HMS Eaglet was there. That’s going back about 40 plus years. 

For £100M we should have Moses adjusting the fecking tides...

• Haha 10