Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I wonder if we'll get a technical explanation for these tidal conditions? A truthful one?

The technical explanation will be... "it was the wrong sort of tide" (as in wrong sort of leaves on the rail line! 😅).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

I don’t recall either. Only ever used gangplanks. A fixed structure wouldn’t be much use in tidal Douglas with a fixed quay side.

Wondering if I had imagined it, I had a look and there's a planning application for it on 5th October 1994. No plans online though. 

94/00939/B in case anyone is really bored!

45 minutes ago, english zloty said:

According to the captain its not related to the tide but to the failure of the siege tower 

The boat has not been out in a force 9, so the siege tower is intact.

Could it be that the Liverpool Landing Stage Adelte Centaurus Boarding Bridge cannot bend down far enough when there is a lowish tide? If so, why not disembark the foot passengers in the normal way?

5 hours ago, KERED said:

I think the clue is in the name - Half-Tide Dock. (Not LOW tide dock)

The Manannan was due to arrive there at around 10.00 am, which coincides with today's low tide, in Liverpool.

Weren't the modifications they've just done to the Manannan to allow it to use the new facility in very low tides?

I'm sure I read that recently. Do we even get very low tides this time of year?

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Despite all the conspiracy theories, Mersey Ferries are impacted at times due to low tides, not sure this week but certainly March and a few times last year 

https://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/24176488.mersey-ferries-service-suspended-low-water/

March would be the spring tide though wouldn't it?

I thought the (no doubt very expensive) addition to the Manannan was to allow it to dock there at very low tides. Here we are, two days in, and they can't dock because of a low tide- in the middle of summer!

There's two low tides everyday. As conspiracy theories go, this one seems very low on, well, conspiracy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, english zloty said:

Or half-tide (I think it’s official name) because it could only be used above that level 

Here’s an explanation from someone who knows not the armchair experts

Top fan

Frank Simpson

To all the “arm chair shipping experts” banging on about “it’s because it’s a half tide dock. Here is the definition of a half tide dock 
A half tide dock is a partially tidal dock. Typically the dock is entered at high tide. As the tide ebbs a sill or weir prevents the level dropping below a certain point, meaning that the ships in the dock remain afloat, although they still rise and fall with the tides above this. Half tide docks are particularly useful in areas with a large tidal range.
The new terminal is NOT in a half tide dock. This only refers to the name of the Princess half tide dock that is now enclosed and the new terminal is built on 😏
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

Here’s an explanation from someone who knows not the armchair experts

Top fan

Frank Simpson

To all the “arm chair shipping experts” banging on about “it’s because it’s a half tide dock. Here is the definition of a half tide dock 
A half tide dock is a partially tidal dock. Typically the dock is entered at high tide. As the tide ebbs a sill or weir prevents the level dropping below a certain point, meaning that the ships in the dock remain afloat, although they still rise and fall with the tides above this. Half tide docks are particularly useful in areas with a large tidal range.
The new terminal is NOT in a half tide dock. This only refers to the name of the Princess half tide dock that is now enclosed and the new terminal is built on 😏

Except:

Princes Half Tide Dock has never been tidal or partially tidal, at least not for a very long time, nor were East and West Waterloo Docks which were/are attached to it. It was a half tide dock originally in the 1810’s when built. It probably changed, but the name stayed, when it was rebuilt around 1870.

Where the link span now is was a set of entrance lock gates, and where the footbridge likewise. I’m old enough to have watched them in use. 

In summer, when there were multiple sailings, the SPCo packet boats occasionally boarded passengers from the wooden dock structure at that end of Princes Parade. There were steps down to multiple levels.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

March would be the spring tide though wouldn't it?

I thought the (no doubt very expensive) addition to the Manannan was to allow it to dock there at very low tides. Here we are, two days in, and they can't dock because of a low tide- in the middle of summer!

There's two low tides everyday. As conspiracy theories go, this one seems very low on, well, conspiracy.

Err spring tides have nothing to do with the season of spring. You get spring tides in summer.

• Like 3