Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The SPCo are merely paying back the loans, the only income to government has to be purely the corporation tax on annual profits, our share of VAT, and personal income tax from employees who are registered here. 

Don't forget the annual levy to Treasury. Profit-based, £1M last year IIRC. 

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Don't forget the annual levy to Treasury. Profit-based, £1M last year IIRC. 

Is that not the same thing as corporation tax? If so, wouldn't that be paid by the previous owners too?

Edited by Max Power

If the Steam Packet massively cut fares and started losing money then we’d have the same voices crying about government incompetence.

It’ll be interesting if the Steam Packet management get their wish and manage to sell the Ben. I think it would make decent money if it was sold. That might help.

Edited by Ringy Rose

45 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

It’ll be interesting if the Steam Packet management get their wish and manage to sell the Ben. I think it would make decent money if it was sold. That might help.

Better to keep the Ben and sell the cat,  the cat is life expired and will cost a lot to keep running, just like SeaCat IOM. Fuel is getting more expensive, the Ben is frugal in comparison with the cat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Is that not the same thing as corporation tax? If so, wouldn't that be paid by the previous owners too?

Allinson, February 2023. It's a dividend. "For the benefit of the people of the Island".

Screenshot_20240630-174729_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Covid was a while ago. If it was making £20 million per year then, why is it not now - is it just down to fuel costs?

The last year before Covid was 2018/9. 2019/20 was hit in the last couple of months. 2020/21 was a write off, 2021/22 and 2022/23 were recovery years. Recovering passenger figures, not full. That’s the £11 million profit year with £1m dividend. 2023/24 results aren’t out yet.

The new boat wasn’t in service or even being brought from Korea during 2022/23.

Of course the Manxman higher operating costs and capital amortisation and loan repayments plus the fact it now owns 4, not two,  boats will have an effect on bottom line. As will buying Arrow out of cash reserves for £9million.

Plus I’m not so sure the £20 million figure was correct. You’ll recall that SPCo was owned by an infrastructure investment fund, managed by McQuarrie, and had borrowings from Banco Spirito Santo. The interest and capital repayments weren’t being made and the Bank, a rescue bank set up to hold assets after the collapse of the Portuguese banking industry in 2008, seized the the shares due to non performance. That doesn’t happen if you have £20 million profit.

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

It’s a trading company. Company income tax ( not corporation tax ) is 0%. There wasn’t much tax payable as the financial structure and loan repayments to Banco Spirito Santos, were allowed against tax.

Right let me see if I have got my head round this, we are keeping prices for travel on the boat higher because if we don't the share holders (Us the greater manx public) will see a cut in dividends. So we end up paying more to travel on a boat we own so the dividend remains high, also on the freight which in turn the users end up passing the extra cost onto us the greater manx public. I think I would rather cheaper travel and prices on goods, than the boat taking my money and increase on goods. Which in a roundabout way is another stealth tax and more of my money ending up in government hands to be spunked away on unicorns or other shite ideas, or more likely to prop up pensions for the upper echelons whom probably thought up this idea. 

Edited by Dirty Buggane

2 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Right let me see if I have got my head round this, we are keeping prices for travel on the boat higher because if we don't the share holders (Us the greater manx public) will see a cut in dividends. So we end up paying more to travel on a boat we own so the dividend remains high, also on the freight which in turn the users end up passing the extra cost onto us the greater manx public. I think I would rather cheaper travel and prices on goods, than the boat taking my money and increase on goods. Which in a roundabout way is another stealth tax and more of my money ending up in government hands to be spunked away on unicorns or other shite ideas, or more likely to prop up pensions for the upper echelons whom probably thought up this idea. 

A crutch for government finances.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Plus I’m not so sure the £20 million figure was correct. You’ll recall that SPCo was owned by an infrastructure investment fund, managed by McQuarrie, and had borrowings from Banco Spirito Santo. The interest and capital repayments weren’t being made and the Bank, a rescue bank set up to hold assets after the collapse of the Portuguese banking industry in 2008, seized the the shares due to non performance. That doesn’t happen if you have £20 million profit.

The statement further up the page is attributed to Allinson (although I did not find the original). Allinson is Treasury Minister, so he knows a bit about money. Surely the Treasury Minister could not have made a mistake of that magnitude.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The statement further up the page is attributed to Allinson (although I did not find the original). Allinson is Treasury Minister, so he knows a bit about money. Surely the Treasury Minister could not have made a mistake of that magnitude.

I cropped it from this, IoMToday Budget 2023 report.

Screenshot_20240630-200325_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

A crutch for government finances.

Was always intended to be so and now shown to be at the cost of local export (and import) producers/operaters. Govt looking after itself again.

Another form of unavoidable taxation unless you can exist purely on locally produced commodities.