Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

5 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Bit off topic but can anyone recommend a decent hotel for a few days stay in the centre of Liverpool?

If you just want a bed Easy Hotel is clean, cheap and central. Aloft is bit more expensive and has a bar.

Liverpool hotel Prices fluctuate quite a lot depending on if Liverpool are at home or Taylor Swift is in town etc.

• Like 1

Here's the thoughts and calculations of highly-regarded ex- Ramsey Commissioners Chair, Richard Radcliffe on the subject, lifted from FB.

Screenshot_20240717-111047_Facebook.jpg

• Like 4

Talk about a catchpenny headline!  Even if you listen to the soundclip from the 3FM piece it makes it clear that the £1 is the peppercorn rent (presumably then payable to Peel) and there is also a monthly payment of £14,272 for the first six months while negotiations continue (and Allinson confirmed that they are still ongoing) and they will also be responsible for rates etc (presumably backdated) once Liverpool Council has calculated what they are.

This compares to what the Steam packet were previously paying for use of the previous landing stage which was £737,000 per year, which was £580,000 (or £48,333 per month) once rates etc were taken off.  The full exchange is here:

https://tynwald.scorchnetwork.com/?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202401-1476a.mp3

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I need on my travels to pick up some foot passengers from the new terminal Liverpool side), I'm assuming there is a car park to do so?

Anyone tried it yet?

Yep, there is a drop off point with parking right outside the passenger side of the terminal. 

• Thanks 1

Used the new terminal yesterday on the return trip to the IOM. 

It's new but not so shiny.  The cafe is really a snack bar.  The seating is uncomfortable, but 'serviceable' and probably deters tramps from sleeping there overnight.  There are areas which look either badly finished or finished in a hurry, eg, double doors next to the pedestrian exit to the car waiting area already have mucky marks and when you run your hand over, don't seem to have been glossed.  The loo I used looked grimy in the corners and where the flooring meets the walls.  

It is quite a stretch on foot to the centre of Liverpool; a shuttle bus may be a welcome facility.  But it is a nice walk along the river front to the Liver Building, in good weather. 

Nice views over the river and docks to the rear and it is as well placed, if you are driving, as the previous site.  Even though it doesn't show in SatNav the advice to put a nearby postcode in gets you there quite easily.

The huge mechanisms against which the boat rests are a feat of engineering and must have cost a fortune. 

In summary, it's fine, but the waiting facilities are really only a little better than those at the other dock.  Not sure how they could be improved for a service that, at most, is used twice a day. 

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

The huge mechanisms against which the boat rests are a feat of engineering and must have cost a fortune.

Let's face it everything from the moorings to the plates in the cafe, to the shit house paper in the bogs no doubt has cost us a fortune

And on a more serious note would they frown on me bringing my Gregg's meal deal into the departure lounge or should I just sit in my vehicle. What I mean is there any signs up yet that only food purchased on site may be consumed in the cafe area.

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Cheers Gladys, ...do they charge and are there time limits you know of?

No, they don't charge and there are no waiting time limits.  I left my car there while I went into the centre,  but checked at the booking desk and the chap said it would be OK.  There are only about 10 parking spaces, though. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

And on a more serious note would they frown on me bringing my Gregg's meal deal into the departure lounge or should I just sit in my vehicle. What I mean is there any signs up yet that only food purchased on site may be consumed in the cafe area.

Not that I could see.