Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

4 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

The citizens of Liverpool are renowned throughout the world for their honesty and probity. I don’t understand why anyone would accuse Scousers of being thieves. I can certainly see why you’re clutching your pearls. 

The QS wasn't a Liverpudlian.

Are you insinuating that all professional engineers from Liverpool are thieves? 😂

5 hours ago, quilp said:

Give it up,ffs.

Idiot.

See the smiley. You are being an idiot too?

FTR. It's an idiotic comment by RongynRose. Yes Liverpudlians do have a reputation, but it's not a fair reputation. If it was said in jest fair enough, but I don't think it is. 

However I do not take it seriously.

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Who is accusing the quantity surveyor of theft? Where have I posted that? The quantity surveyor may not have even been aware of what was allegedly going on. Methinks your defence of your beloved DOI is plumbing new depths here, do I detect skin in the game.

Let's consider a few things. Firstly, in a project where costs spiralled out of control to £100M<, £1M, £2M or £5M is chickenfeed. It's tiny percentages, relatively speaking and could easily be "lost", nudge nudge.

Secondly, consider the goons who were "managing" the project, whose only sense of financial responsibility was knowing that they could meander back to another set of goons, cap in hand knowing that said second goons would vote them more money and make any amount of excuses for them. And duly did so, on a number of occasions. Such as, "We've gone so far, we can't stop now", for instance.

Thirdly, as already alluded to, consider the well-earned reputation of the area concerned. Joe Anderson, anybody?

Fourthly. They said nobody would be able to spend half a billion on a new power station on a small island. We managed it. Look at the financial control that went on there. Things like this weren't supposed to be able to happen again.

They just did.

Who are the 'goons' then?

Is the QS not responsible for checking that things that have paid for end up in the ground on the project.

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

See the smiley. You are being an idiot too?

FTR. It's an idiotic comment by RongynRose. Yes Liverpudlians do have a reputation, but it's not a fair reputation. If it was said in jest fair enough, but I don't think it is. 

However I do not take it seriously.

Yeah, but you take yourself very seriously. 

41 minutes ago, quilp said:

Yeah, but you take yourself very seriously. 

Sometimes, but mostly I don't.  Maybe it comes across that way. I am not an idiot though and neither are you.

In this case I think its tittle tattle, gossip and bullshit. I will explain why when I get a bit of time 😁

This sort of thing has been going on since Adam was a lad.

I knew of  property developer who, many years ago now, put the costs of a new wall around his own property into the accounts for his latest development project.

Figures are easily, and often will be, massaged.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

The QS wasn't a Liverpudlian.

Very specific claim. Acquainted, are we? 😉

16 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Sorry Mexico. You are quite wrong and showing a bit of an ignorance if how a major construction project works. 

A bit of petty crime here and there is happen. But accusing a QS of theft is no small accusations. The QS is a person of profession repute and it's independent of the contractor and the client. 

I think that if @Non-Believer s post does not break the rules of this forum it should. It's a slanderous accusations of a person and their organisation who is effectively being named.

Anyway, I have called his bluff. I doubt he will take it. It's bullshit. Absolute. I hope he is pursued through the courts. 

16 hours ago, Happier diner said:

He is not alleging shenanigans though is he? He is alleging corruption on a massive scale. 

But the only Quantity Surveyor that NB mentioned was his old schoolmate.  As you hold the profession in such high regard maybe you should listen to what he said.

Even if the QS was impeccably honest and competent, they can only work within the system of that particular job.  And we know the client, the DoI, has neither the skills nor the willpower to make sure that such a large project (or a even smaller one) is successful.  What is more they are continually unable to be honest about what things cost and unwilling to change their methods and culture to enable that happen.  That's mainly a wider government problem of course.  

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the only Quantity Surveyor that NB mentioned was his old schoolmate.  As you hold the profession in such high regard maybe you should listen to what he said.

Even if the QS was impeccably honest and competent, they can only work within the system of that particular job.  And we know the client, the DoI, has neither the skills nor the willpower to make sure that such a large project (or a even smaller one) is successful.  What is more they are continually unable to be honest about what things cost and unwilling to change their methods and culture to enable that happen.  That's mainly a wider government problem of course.  

Fair point . But NB is quoting a QS (who seems to be  liverpudlian) who by inference is criticising the actions of other QSs 

Like I said to @quilp earler I will give a fuller explanation of why I think the whole thing is bullshit.

No need for me to even mention the government or the DOI or defend them as they had no part in protecting us from being ripped off by criminals as that is all managed via the contract and the people who we ( IOM) paid handsomely for doing that on our behalf.

10 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Fair point . But NB is quoting a QS (who seems to be  liverpudlian) who by inference is criticising the actions of other QSs 

Like I said to @quilp earler I will give a fuller explanation of why I think the whole thing is bullshit.

No need for me to even mention the government or the DOI or defend them as they had no part in protecting us from being ripped off by criminals as that is all managed via the contract and the people who we ( IOM) paid handsomely for doing that on our behalf.

NB was not quoting someone who seems to be a liverpudluan QS, but an old friend from the IOM who now works as a QS in the NW.

Not sure where you are coming from on this one, but it was a bit of gossip, better for those of us not fully conversant with the detail to let it lie.  For those who do have a better idea, they should provide whatever reliable information they have to the proper authorities. 

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

NB was not quoting someone who seems to be a liverpudluan QS, but an old friend from the IOM who now works as a QS in the NW.

Not sure where you are coming from on this one, but it was a bit of gossip, better for those of us not fully conversant with the detail to let it lie.  For those who do have a better idea, they should provide whatever reliable information they have to the proper authorities. 

Yes I get that now. It's quite a nasty bit of gossip though isn't it? No evidence to back it up. Probably said just to appear cool and in the knowledge. 

To be honest I don't believe him. I just think either him or his 'friend' is lying. I will still explain why I think it's impossible, but just for interest. 

It's a remarkable response, "Foaming at the mouth" I think would be the most apt description.

Given that most of the posters on here who have been good enough to contribute generally appear to concur that it's not beyond the realms of possibility¹, given a) the reputation of the area, b) the Dept concerned and c) the sums involved then the sanctimosity and instantaneous dismissal displayed certainly suggests to me some sort of personal involvement.

( ¹ with the exception of @Banker obviously who has perennial issues with objectivity at the best of times)

• Haha 2