Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

certainly suggests to me some sort of personal

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Now you are alleging that I am a criminal too. 

I think the reason @Banker knows it's bullshit is that he knows how procurement and governance works and how what you are saying might have been possible in the 60's but would not be possible now. 

PS. I have absolutely no connection with that project and have been vocal in my critism of it. Disaster. But nothing to do with criminallity. 

Edited by Happier diner

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Now you are alleging that I am a criminal too. 

I think the reason @Banker knows it's bullshit is that he knows how procurement and governance works and how what you are saying might have been possible in the 60's but would not be possible now. 

PS. I have absolutely no connection with that project and have been vocal in my critism of it. Disaster. But nothing to do with criminallity. 

Would you welcome an independent audit? Isn't it the case that most major contracts have audit/open book clauses in them?

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Would you welcome an independent audit? Isn't it the case that most major contracts have audit/open book clauses in them?

The contract is open book. It's a cost reimbursible contract of a form. The point of employing an independant Quantity Surveyor ( in the form of an organisation and not an individual is to perform that function). There was an QS of that form all the way through the project. Google can tell you that. That is standard in all large construction contracts 

It's got nothing to do with me whether an audit should be carried out over and above that. I have no involvement whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

The contract is open book. It's a cost reimbursible contract of a form. The point of employing an independant Quantity Surveyor ( in the form of an organisation and not an individual is to perform that function). There was an QS of that form all the way through the project. Google can tell you that. That is standard in all large construction contracts 

It's got nothing to do with me whether an audit should be carried out over and above that. I have no involvement whatsoever. 

Where is it stated it's a cost reimbursable contract?

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

Where is it stated it's a cost reimbursable contract?

I can't be 100% sure but IOM government invariably use NEC Type B contracts which is bill of quantities. I did say cost reimbursible of a form, which it is. Therin was there first error. 

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I can't be 100% sure but IOM government invariably use NEC Type B contracts which is bill of quantities. I did say cost reimbursible of a form, which it is. Therin was there first error. 

Bill of quantities is not cost reimbursable any more than buying bananas in Tesco is. I believe it's target cost anyway - so there is a mechanism for partial reimbursement  but it's not really a 'cost reimbursable' contract.

2 hours ago, Mercenary said:

Bill of quantities is not cost reimbursable any more than buying bananas in Tesco is. I believe it's target cost anyway - so there is a mechanism for partial reimbursement  but it's not really a 'cost reimbursable' contract.

Well I'll disagree. There is no target cost in that contract. That is completely different. 

Option B is not strictly cost reimbursible because that sort of contract has no limits, but with B costs are reimbursed as quantities are met so it's kind of a hydrid. Meant to limit the clients exposure to unlimited costs.

The big problem with Option B, and the most important point, is that it takes pretty much all the risk from the contractor. Something we now know is a bad thing for IOM government. 

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Option B is not strictly cost reimbursable because that sort of contract has no limits, but with B costs are reimbursed as quantities are met so it's kind of a hybrid. Meant to limit the clients exposure to unlimited costs.

I would have to say judging by the whole fuckup that is the Liverpool landing stage, option B is fundamentally flawed 😁

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I would have to say judging by the whole fuckup that is the Liverpool landing stage, option B is fundamentally flawed 😁

It's not flawed. It is appropriate to some projects. Is it appropriate for a high risk complex project? Not in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It's not flawed. It is appropriate to some projects. Is it appropriate for a high risk complex project? Not in my opinion. 

Can we assume therefore that the advice our shower received at the outset (re contract) was flawed ?

13 minutes ago, asitis said:

Can we assume therefore that the advice our shower received at the outset (re contract) was flawed ?

Was it identified as a high risk project?  In retrospect, you would think it should have been, but was there sufficient information and advice at the outset? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, asitis said:

We dont know for sure do we but we could might assume that we were mislead over the condition of the land and its suitability for the construction of a landing stage. The massive amount of extra work that was done could have been as a result of

1. Being mislead over the condition and/or

2. Not doing sufficient investigation into the condition and its suitability before entering into a contract based upon a bill of quantities which is in turn based on a its assumed condition and the amount of work required.

Of course we don't know any of this, but history would undeniably lead anyone with any common sense to make that assumption.

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Was it identified as a high risk project?  In retrospect, you would think it should have been, but was there sufficient information and advice at the outset? 

I don't know that of course. But would you have considered it high risk? I would, but then we both have the advantage hindsight.

With any contract, preparation is everything. It would appear that this could have been so much better. If you are building on top of something that has been there for a long time and at the mercy of the eroding effect of tides and waves, would you check it out before you bought it and then asked someone to build on it. Id like to think I would.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I don't know that of course. But would you have considered it high risk? I would, but then we both have the advantage hindsight.

With any contract, preparation is everything. It would appear that this could have been so much better. If you are building on top of something that has been there for a long time and at the mercy of the eroding effect of tides and waves, would you check it out before you bought it and then asked someone to build on it. Id like to think I would.

Exactly, hindsight is a wonderful thing.  I suppose the question is whether there was a project risk assessment undertaken and if the correct risks were identified.  

Also your earlier point re initial investigations is relevant.  Were the investigations undertaken of the right type and further investigation undertaken if issues were highlighted? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Well I'll disagree. There is no target cost in that contract. That is completely different. 

Option B is not strictly cost reimbursible because that sort of contract has no limits, but with B costs are reimbursed as quantities are met so it's kind of a hydrid. Meant to limit the clients exposure to unlimited costs.

The big problem with Option B, and the most important point, is that it takes pretty much all the risk from the contractor. Something we now know is a bad thing for IOM government. 

As I said it's not an Option B contract

https://tynwald.org.im/index.php/spfile?file=/business/pp/Reports/2023-PP-0123.pdf 

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2024 at 6:15 AM, Happier diner said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yet amongst all this modern day "impossibility" two lots of funding were voted to get horsetrams to the Sea Terminal and they, er, don't. So clearly procurement and governance within the DOI provenly fall short of the expected standard. Why would Liverpool Terminal, more remote and with an even bigger budget be any different?

Banker's knowledge in most of the matters they post on these boards has been repeatedly proven to be somewhat lacking in reality.