Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Safe bet. 

call me a cynic but i can't help but feel all these 'exclusives' to be unveiled at the conference are just a desperate way to try to get numbers up, and actually, there will be very little of value beyond PowerPoint generated by CS for CS in CS speak. 

• Like 3

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/snagging-list-for-liverpool-ferry-terminal-wont-be-published/?

"It says publishing a ‘snagging list’ would ‘prejudice the department’s ongoing activities’ in relation to the project.

The DoI says it needs to protect its commercial interests as this is an ‘ongoing/live matter' "

I'm surprised they are arguing this is commercially privileged, it's difficult to understand why. The same Department released it for the Promenade scheme (FOI 2238274)

On 8/27/2024 at 7:20 PM, Happier diner said:

Depends on what you mean by PM. As you know everyone has a PM. Do you mean the DOIs PM? They are now known as Project Sponsors. The clients PM in effect. 

But yes I agree with what you are saying. There are lots of opportunities to bollox it up. Seems we took them all. 

However if we selected a designer who has stuffed up to the point of negligence, should they not be persued? My example was purposefully similar to what might have happened. 

Happy'

You seen to have some sort of  Civil Engineering knowledge

Do what I did, use Google Earth to work out the size of that small site and work out how much it would cost to excavate all of that area to 12m deep and fill with C40

The IOM gov should be getting a new cottage hospital for this price (Given Half the size of the current one)

Paying Compensation Events for Covid site shut downs, 2 years after Covid was not a thing is not good for your IOM funds.

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Happy'

You seen to have some sort of  Civil Engineering knowledge

Do what I did, use Google Earth to work out the size of that small site and work out how much it would cost to excavate all of that area to 12m deep and fill with C40

The IOM gov should be getting a new cottage hospital for this price (Given Half the size of the current one)

Paying Compensation Events for Covid site shut downs, 2 years after Covid was not a thing is not good for your IOM funds.

I am not a civil engineer.

However I do know that you could not have filled in the area with concrete without excavating the whole area first. That would be the expensive bit Shirley.

How do you know they are paying COVID related compensation claims still?

Here is an interesting article which explains how we maybe got stung with the costs of COVID.

https://www.burnesspaull.com/insights-and-events/news/time-and-money-claims-under-the-nec-ecc-covid-19

Edited by Happier diner

On 9/14/2024 at 7:00 PM, Happier diner said:

I am not a civil engineer.

However I do know that you could not have filled in the area with concrete without excavating the whole area first. That would be the expensive bit Shirley.

How do you know they are paying COVID related compensation claims still?

Here is an interesting article which explains how we maybe got stung with the costs of COVID.

https://www.burnesspaull.com/insights-and-events/news/time-and-money-claims-under-the-nec-ecc-covid-19

Excavation costs along with disposal of arisings, are a fraction of filling the void created with concrete/ rebar, you must know that?

The article is a good read but my point still stands.

A new small hospital could have been built for a similar price.

11 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Excavation costs along with disposal of arisings, are a fraction of filling the void created with concrete/ rebar, you must know that?

The article is a good read but my point still stands.

A new small hospital could have been built for a similar price.

Watching the HS2 panorama last night and it sounds eerily familiar.

HS2 ltd had two sets of figures, one for government and a real one.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c98486dzxnzo

Politicians repeated the lie given to them, project was poorly managed and financial issues kept away from the public and treasury.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Watching the HS2 panorama last night and it sounds eerily familiar.

HS2 ltd had two sets of figures, one for government and a real one.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c98486dzxnzo

Politicians repeated the lie given to them, project was poorly managed and financial issues kept away from the public and treasury.

Agreed, but I still maintain as requests for more and more cash were received, some politico should have begun to question the cost/benefit of the facility, before it got so far out of hand. The sunk cost fallacy should have been exposed for what it is !

• Like 2