Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That doesn’t mean the unemployment rate is not low.

True, the thinking is that 3% is the natural level of western unemployment, below that many are unemployable apparently! Which means that we manage to employ the unemployables!

Edited by Max Power

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

True, the thinking is that 3% is the natural level of western unemployment, below that many are unemployable apparently! Which means that we manage to employ the unemployables!

Or just keep them off the figures....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

It's possible that some 'unemployable' are on invalidity benefit over here rather than Jobseekers.  Which is fair enough. The 3% is probably one of those figures economists come up with which turn out to have 0% evidence behind them.

Certainly pre-Covid levels were pretty near full employment though.  From memory about half those of the 300 or so who were on the register each month had found a job by next month.

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's possible that some 'unemployable' are on invalidity benefit over here rather than Jobseekers.  Which is fair enough. The 3% is probably one of those figures economists come up with which turn out to have 0% evidence behind them.

Certainly pre-Covid levels were pretty near full employment though.  From memory about half those of the 300 or so who were on the register each month had found a job by next month.

Invalidity?

You mean Incapacity, Long term Incapacity, Disability Living or Mobility Allowance benefits?

The first two won’t be on JSA as they’re signed off. The second two will be on JSA if under state pension age.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Invalidity?

You mean Incapacity, Long term Incapacity, Disability Living or Mobility Allowance benefits?

The first two won’t be on JSA as they’re signed off. The second two will be on JSA if under state pension age.

Incapacity benefit of course.  Like most good Manxies I insist on calling things by names they haven't officially been called for 30 years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Incapacity benefit of course.  Like most good Manxies I insist on calling things by names they haven't officially been called for 30 years.

Once a Social Security Appeal Tribunal Chair, etc. Sorry for being pedantic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

When/how do we draw a line in the sand and make a stand that enough is enough from this Government?

TBH my feelings are its the CS linked to Government that are the real problem . Lets be honest most MHK's and MLC's are limited in there ability and certainly in the many areas they have to deal with. I said on the eve of the last election that the most important role would be a strong capable CM who along with those around him or her would sort out the various issues . CS need reigned in and made accountable as do everyone in authority or we are in for more of the same. Difficult ? ,for sure very, but has to be tackled as a matter of urgency as we cant afford the current setup .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

TBH my feelings are its the CS linked to Government that are the real problem . Lets be honest most MHK's and MLC's are limited in there ability and certainly in the many areas they have to deal with. I said on the eve of the last election that the most important role would be a strong capable CM who along with those around him or her would sort out the various issues . CS need reigned in and made accountable as do everyone in authority or we are in for more of the same. Difficult ? ,for sure very, but has to be tackled as a matter of urgency as we cant afford the current setup .

Anyone expecting any change after the next GE is deluded

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Anyone expecting any change after the next GE is deluded

It's never going to happen as long as the most important thing is the flawed procurement process, rather than negotiating value for money for the taxpayer. The CS are responsible for the process, it protects them from criticism from those who accuse them of corruption. So until someone comes up with a foolproof system of negotiation and fair competition for contracts, we will always be stuck with huge cock ups and overspending!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It's never going to happen as long as the most important thing is the flawed procurement process, rather than negotiating value for money for the taxpayer. The CS are responsible for the process, it protects them from criticism from those who accuse them of corruption. So until someone comes up with a foolproof system of negotiation and fair competition for contracts, we will always be stuck with huge cock ups and overspending!  

It’s deeper than that. 

You have MHKs too worried about upsetting folk, getting a second term etc. nobody has any force or vision or appetite for reform and change. 

I thought at every GE,” this will be the time for change! “ it never happened. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s deeper than that. 

You have MHKs too worried about upsetting folk, getting a second term etc. nobody has any force or vision or appetite for reform and change. 

I thought at every GE,” this will be the time for change! “ it never happened. 

Yes, I'm sure that most MHKs are overwhelmed by the challenge as individuals. To be fair, they get ground down by the volume of bollocks they have to deal with and without a party structure they stand no chance of effecting any real change at all!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, I'm sure that most MHKs are overwhelmed by the challenge as individuals. To be fair, they get ground down by the volume of bollocks they have to deal with and without a party structure they stand no chance of effecting any real change at all!

.... also a number are as thick as mince !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1