Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

The bravest, boldest thing to do would be to walk away, take the hit and from thereon, resolve never to allow hubris to creep into decisions ever again. I lost count of the number of MHKs I told this was folly in extremis. 

Remember come September, they all voted for this. They simply believe every ounce of crap they are fed by the civil service. Nobody, other than Peel Holdings will benefit from this. 

• Thanks 8

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The bravest, boldest thing to do would be to walk away, take the hit and from thereon, resolve never to allow hubris to creep into decisions ever again. I lost count of the number of MHKs I told this was folly in extremis. 

Remember come September, they all voted for this. They simply believe every ounce of crap they are fed by the civil service. Nobody, other than Peel Holdings will benefit from this. 

Probably can't walk away. Would be interesting to read the article, fancy getting stitched up like this :( .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, forestboy said:

What’s the alternative?

Accepting the island’s place in the world as a dispersed village of 80,000 people, cutting the cloth accordingly and working with the infrastructure that exists. 

What next? A Manx UK airport? The place carries on like it is the USA.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Well to maintain the fantasy they do need this terminal think. You have a later on post I’ll comment on as well.

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Accepting the island’s place in the world as a dispersed village of 80,000 people, cutting the cloth accordingly and working with the infrastructure that exists. 

What next? A Manx UK airport? The place carries on like it is the USA.

Therein lies the big unspoken problem. The Isle of Man does have a unique culture but it is not a nation and never will be. It will never have the financial clout. The posturing of Manx politicians as statesmen is nauseatingly embarrassing. As do Jersey and Guernsey , same issue but they do have more teeth ( ie money ). The Isle of Man has only one option. Let’s call it the Isle of Wight one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Therein lies the big unspoken problem. The Isle of Man does have a unique culture but it is not a nation and never will be. It will never have the financial clout. The posturing of Manx politicians as statesmen is nauseatingly embarrassing. As do Jersey and Guernsey , same issue but they do have more teeth ( ie money ). The Isle of Man has only one option. Let’s call it the Isle of Wight one. 

I’ve been saying this for years. There is absolutely no sense of perspective whatsoever. It’s like a big train set, ultimately, run by a bloke that had money for a while but spaffed most of it on scenery and models of people, and buses. There’s just this endemic Manx hubris that has to be perpetuated. 

It saddens me intensely because with a new model, it’s got the potential to be the very best place on earth to be for many more people.

i truly hope that this September a new world order can be developed for the better future the place deserves 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

I’ve been saying this for years. There is absolutely no sense of perspective whatsoever. It’s like a big train set, ultimately, run by a bloke that had money for a while but spaffed most of it on scenery and models of people, and buses. There’s just this endemic Manx hubris that has to be perpetuated. 

It saddens me intensely because with a new model, it’s got the potential to be the very best place on earth to be for many more people.

i truly hope that this September a new world order can be developed for the better future the place deserves 

I doubt that will happen. That’s why I have now finally left. I’m sure the good riddance messages will follow. And that is part of the problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

I doubt that will happen. That’s why I have now finally left. I’m sure the good riddance messages will follow. And that is part of the problem.

No good riddance message from me. But I can’t understand why you find enough to your disliking to leave. Given that, I am finding it hard that you would find somewhere perfect enough for you to stay. Good luck anyway

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

They're like gamblers. They know they have a problem but fail to acknowledge that something needs to be done about it. 

Only yesterday some were gushing over the choo choo trains starting again. No qualification was given as to the likely losses that will be incurred or other financials. Just that it was nice to see it chugging through the countryside.

Meanwhile mental health waiting lists grow...

• Thanks 1