Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

7 hours ago, Anyone said:

I doubt that will happen. That’s why I have now finally left. I’m sure the good riddance messages will follow. And that is part of the problem.

Indeed it is.

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No good riddance message from me. But I can’t understand why you find enough to your disliking to leave. Given that, I am finding it hard that you would find somewhere perfect enough for you to stay. Good luck anyway

There are many excellent parts of the UK and Eire where the children don't run the show.

Birkenhead was an option, could have had freight too.   I don’t think there was a perfect option but what they are doing now needs scrutiny, financial controls and someone competent running it. And the politicians with vested interests in making it work....to step away, so some independent advice and scrutiny.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

Birkenhead was an option, could have had freight too.   I don’t think there was a perfect option but what they are doing now needs scrutiny, financial controls and someone competent running it. And the politicians with vested interests in making it work....to step away, so some independent advice and scrutiny.  

Needs a virtual flogging - spending so much money on a passenger-only facility in the wrong part of the Mersey. And it doesn't look as though this new facility will be delivered.

Nice if you want to watch Everton in a few years, but otherwise just so bored housewives can go shopping in Liverpool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It certainly needs an enquiry now into the factors behind how this went from, Peel Holdings are building it at no cost to the public purse, (which was the original premise on which it received public support), to 3 million, to what 60 million +.

As the SPCO only runs as a business because of freight, not passengers, this would have been an extremely difficult sell at 60 million plus. Their arrogance with public money is appalling, when the populace who need help are denied help because of lack of funds. The revenue and capital difference do not hold water, it is still taxpayers money.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, Anyone said:

I doubt that will happen. That’s why I have now finally left. I’m sure the good riddance messages will follow. And that is part of the problem.

You aren’t kidding. And people think you stop caring about the place once you move away. Look at the ‘Typical busy body Brit’ swipe at me on another thread, for example. 

The issue lies in that the majority of the public are blind to the deeper issues because they aren’t affected by them. There’s also a wide ranging acceptance of mediocrity, and a prevailing selfishness that undermines any attempt to get the right thing done. Look at the money spent between the Prom - which is never going to be right, and Liverpool. The dent this could have made in improving health provision  is massive.

until there is a breakthrough- a single term chief minister of force and vision who leads strongly with a clear direction, willing to make themselves hugely unpopular with the public service, who can drive through local authority reform along with a whole raft of other changes, then the island will continue to almost imperceptibly decline.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The issue lies in that the majority of the public are blind to the deeper issues because they aren’t affected by them.

Aren't affected by them yet.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

until there is a breakthrough- a single term chief minister of force and vision who leads strongly with a clear direction, willing to make themselves hugely unpopular with the public service, who can drive through local authority reform along with a whole raft of other changes, then the island will continue to almost imperceptibly decline.

Chris Robertshaw is probably the only current Tynwald member who would fit that description but as far as I remember he isn't planning to stand for another term? Nobody else will swing the axe. 

The acceptance of mediocrity seems to be a growing thing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Until there is a breakthrough- a single term chief minister of force and vision who leads strongly with a clear direction, willing to make themselves hugely unpopular with the public service, who can drive through local authority reform along with a whole raft of other changes, then the island will continue to almost imperceptibly decline.

Sure it needs someone to lead from the front.

Unfortunately the system of patronage means the CM is always a compromise candidate...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Needs a virtual flogging - spending so much money on a passenger-only facility in the wrong part of the Mersey. And it doesn't look as though this new facility will be delivered.

Nice if you want to watch Everton in a few years, but otherwise just so bored housewives can go shopping in Liverpool.

Even those heading off to Liverpool 1 for 'world class shopping' will now need a bus - which Mayor Joe I think promised before he was arrested - whereas previously they could walk

13 hours ago, Anyone said:

@Anyone Won't you miss your little mate @Banker though?

After all, you both signed up to MF in the same week and you both frequently add an extra space around punctuation. Especially commas thus:

vaccinations , minimum
June , not
up , too
Guernsey , same
worry , you
think , in
excuse ! Could
are , 357

etc.

Curious.

50 minutes ago, P.K. said:

@Anyone Won't you miss your little mate @Banker though?

After all, you both signed up to MF in the same week and you both frequently add an extra space around punctuation. Especially commas thus:

vaccinations , minimum
June , not
up , too
Guernsey , same
worry , you
think , in
excuse ! Could
are , 357

etc.

Curious.

Reminder to @P.K. and everyone else. We still operate the sock puppet clause. This is approaching crossing the lines. Play the sock puppet game and you’ll be suspended.

16 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Won't help in the long term either, the gov. will still waste money like waste water, just from a bigger pot!

Let's hope a cash-strapped UK Treasury doesn't decide to revisit the new(ish) FERSA agreement that appears to be currently serving us so well....?

• Like 2