Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

3 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Dear oh dear, another cock up in the making, with costs out of control again !! The taxpayers somehow need to take the purse strings away from these incompetents.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, snowman said:

Looks a lot like Douglas prom! Lots of machinery on site, I wonder who is managing these sites? I bet they will be expensive, mind you it is only us fool's paying so it doesn't matter. In the word's of the Abba song "money money money it's a rich man's world" well it is for one man in particular who is doing very nicely!

• Like 1

Lars Ugland suggesting that the potential scouring problem is less to do with the actual power of the bow thrusters and more to do with the duration that they are going to be have to be used for, due to the location of the Dock and its attendant tidal nature, which he claims the SPCo had already pointed out.

Either way, you can bet your bottom dollar that PP will be milking every opportunity they can find to have their own infrastructure improved at IoMG's expense.

Screenshot_20210607-102847_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I originally said total cost would be £60 million. I'm revising that upward again to £100 million including the scour work.

It barely made sense at 3 million at a 100 you would have to be out of your minds!. As others have said the ball has rolled too far away from our grasp now. I guess it will be another lessons have been learned. This is what happens when goldfish swim with sharks!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, asitis said:

It barely made sense at 3 million at a 100 you would have to be out of your minds!. As others have said the ball has rolled too far away from our grasp now. I guess it will be another lessons have been learned. This is what happens when goldfish swim with sharks!

IOMG have now committed us to this debacle by declaring that it will be open for TT2022. That means they'll throw whatever it takes of taxpayer's funds to get it finished on time. So I'm now looking at it being +£100 million as it's clear from that video that they are a long way from even getting any proper foundations in. It's to be hoped that they get the main terminal building up and watertight before the winter sets in. 

And, after reading what the Chair of IOMSPCo has said something tells me that the costs for keeping the berthing area 'open' will add significantly to the annual maintenance bill as well. Not sure if that's down to IOMSPCo of IOMG I don't know.... but, either way the GMP will be paying for it.

• Like 1

Msybe it should go something like this?

"The Chief Minister today announced the closure of the project to build a dedicated ferry terminal in The Mersey.

After being given notice that the existing facility at Pier Head was to be developed to serve Liverpool's growing presence on the UK cruise map, The Isle of Man Government had considered a number of options to continue to offer a sea link to the popular north west city. The development of a bespoke site at Princes Half Tide Dock was the favoured solutions, despite planning issues determining that it could not be used as a freight port, thus maintaining reliance on Heysham, some ninety minutes to the north of the city. At the time, the project was scoped to cost around £15m, which met projections with the Island's strategy to build tourism and culture links with Liverpool.

The Chief Minister said; "Unfortunately, the last eighteen months have thrown up monumental challenges for both the hard working project team in the DOI, and for ourselves in Government. Fundamentally, COVID has changed the way we travel for the foreseeable future, both by land and sea, and there has been an urgent need to rationalise our approach as we look ahead. But moreso, the scheme has been beset with a number of significant and expensive technical difficulties, which has caused the projected end costs to now be significantly in excess of anything that was originally envisaged or budgeted for.

The Island, like every other nation on earth, is entering a period of long recovery from the financial impacts and implications of Covid. It is for this reason that I, after consultation with my colleagues in COMIN, have today taken the regrettable but necessary decision to end our involvement with this project, and review our strategic transport requirements.

There is, of course, a financial loss with this approach, but it is our opinion that it is better to stop now, and reduce the long term burden on the Island that continuing would have brought. As with everything, there are lessons to be learned, but I am firmly of the opinion that much of what is before us today could not have been foreseen. "

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Maybe it should go something like this?

"The Chief Minister today announced the closure of the project to build a dedicated ferry terminal in The Mersey.

After being given notice that the existing facility at Pier Head was to be developed to serve Liverpool's growing presence on the UK cruise map, The Isle of Man Government had considered a number of options to continue to offer a sea link to the popular north west city. The development of a bespoke site at Princes Half Tide Dock was the favoured solutions, despite planning issues determining that it could not be used as a freight port, thus maintaining reliance on Heysham, some ninety minutes to the north of the city. At the time, the project was scoped to cost around £15m, which met projections with the Island's strategy to build tourism and culture links with Liverpool.

The Chief Minister said; "Unfortunately, the last eighteen months have thrown up monumental challenges for both the hard working project team in the DOI, and for ourselves in Government. Fundamentally, COVID has changed the way we travel for the foreseeable future, both by land and sea, and there has been an urgent need to rationalise our approach as we look ahead. But moreso, the scheme has been beset with a number of significant and expensive technical difficulties, which has caused the projected end costs to now be significantly in excess of anything that was originally envisaged or budgeted for.

The Island, like every other nation on earth, is entering a period of long recovery from the financial impacts and implications of Covid. It is for this reason that I, after consultation with my colleagues in COMIN, have today taken the regrettable but necessary decision to end our involvement with this project, and review our strategic transport requirements.

There is, of course, a financial loss with this approach, but it is our opinion that it is better to stop now, and reduce the long term burden on the Island that continuing would have brought. As with everything, there are lessons to be learned, but I am firmly of the opinion that much of what is before us today could not have been foreseen. "

Now that's proper hyperbowl!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I’ll take that as a compliment 

It was Mr Pumblechook obsequious as well

large hard-breathing, middle-aged, slow man, prosperous and complacent, not only lazy and out-of-touch; but also a horrible snob, at least that’s what I recall from my Great Expectations O level

• Haha 2