Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

36 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Far too many of the people running it will have built their careers in a culture of an endless supply of public money and almost zero accountability for how it is spent, with politicians happy to accept whatever waffle is put before them in the name of justification.

Is there any more recent footage of progress on the Terminal site; ie anything tangible for this burgeoning outlay?

You could apply this to many aspects of Isle of Man Government's way of doing things.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, asitis said:

Just realised, you know things are getting out of hand when the reason for the continued splurging of money has to change to try and appease the naysayers who pay the bills . There is a direct comparison here to the point at which dissenting voices started to be heard about the expenditure at the airport, if you recall the airport expenditure PR by bullshit Bertha, suddenly went from runway extension/ RESA to comply with regs, to purely " we are doing this on safety grounds". Dropping the runway extension bit, and neatly sidestepping awkward observations about what sort of aircraft they were catering for, and how the expenditure was justified by a few holiday direct flights not having to land elsewhere for a full fuel load ! A direct correlation now appears to be "emergency freight supply if Heysham is inaccessible ". It is clear they know the expenditure justification is wearing thin.

Wait a minute... Somewhere in my memory I'm sure I remember seeing that Anne R was heavily involved in the project...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-isle-man-ferry-terminal-16101712

I just wonder, having been chucked down the road from "ports" back to airport ( but with a proviso that she remained "on" the ferry terminal project, she then jacked in the airport last year. 

But... Is she still involved in the ferry terminal project? She cited her resignation on spending time with family in the UK but appearing on our tunes on MR this week appears to have gone nowhere.

Anybody know whether she is still involved?

3 hours ago, James Blonde said:

It also now looks like the planned cruise terminal (the reason for losing the current landing stage) is on hold.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/liverpools-plans-new-cruise-terminal-face-delay-least-another-two-years

So there is no urgency to approve this additional £30m+ 

So there is no urgency to approve this additional £30m+   As the workls are underway and contracts signed then there will be penalites for delays. In this case if the client is changing the spec, the contractor will have costs for just maintaining the site, calculated per day, for any delay that they have. While they are on site and working some of this delay can be absorbed but if the delay in approving and designing the changes delays progress on site then the clock is ticking.

Liquidated Ascertained Damages (LADs) I think it's called but I might be wrong

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

Interesting that MF's resident MHK's have nothing to say on here about this Stu - Rob - Chris... Where are you?

Was not Rob on DOI before the election, and on Ports and Habours. So it will be funny to see what he actually says.

Edited by Holte End

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

My concern now would be that if it was a private developer like Dandara or Peel Holdings if a £10-15M project had ended up at £75M it would be a total bloodbath. It just doesn’t happen that you’re that far out on civil engineering projects like this. So the people running it must either be so dramatically incompetent that they should be off the job or auditors need to be sent in looking for why it’s so over budget. Especially considering the high levels of corruption you can get in these sort of projects especially in places like Liverpool. Who is looking at the contracting parties, and what’s been agreed, and what’s been paid for and whether any money has actually been skimmed off the top?

But it is on land owned by Peel Holdings (nod, nod, wink, wink).

3 years ago, the figure was put at £31m, and the new terminal was scheduled to open in late 2020. (Ho, ho, ho)

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/04/10/sisk-lands-31m-iom-ferry-terminal-in-liverpool/

The new figure, in basic terms, means that the cost will be over £1m for each adult IOM resident.

There are not many residents who could afford £1m, but one comes to mind that will not only be benefitting from what is being paid for this, but who could easily afford to pay for the work and gift it to the Nation - one John Whittaker, boss of Peel Holdings, who in the 2020 Rich List was alleged to be worth £1.6 billion.

It would be interesting to know how much of the £71m+ will be heading his way. Also, how much has disappeared into Joe Anderson's back pocket, as he was heavily involved at the outset?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The new figure, in basic terms, means that the cost will be over £1m for each adult IOM resident.

T

Can you show your working? :D

I make it about £2500 per adult (which is still an incredible figure).

I'd rather have the £5 for me and the missus and just go to Heeesham every time

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

My £70m prediction was clearly unrealistic - I'm upping it now to £101m on completion

+1. With the new proposed completion date of mid 2023 that gives them a full 18 months to make the relatively short step from £70M to £100M.

With the skills that have taken us this far, it shouldn't be a problem unless Alf interferes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Since we own the site I think we should tell them to pack up and go home. Then erect this on the site, surrounded by as much swill as we can muster from Litts and dump more daily until Liverpool stinks like a rotting Blue Whale!

L.O.V.E. - a statue by controversial Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan - in front of the stock exchange in Milan

I'm afraid that is already on order as a tribute to the taxpayers funding the scheme !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Since we own the site I think we should tell them to pack up and go home. Then erect this on the site, surrounded by as much swill as we can muster from Litts and dump more daily until Liverpool stinks like a rotting Blue Whale!

L.O.V.E. - a statue by controversial Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan - in front of the stock exchange in Milan

The risk is I suppose that if we just mothball the site or even better, make it look like Douglas Prom, then as Peel Ports own Heysham port they could just bar us from that and leave us with only Holyhead as an option.

We should never have started this unless it was to replace Heysham as our port for freight as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, asitis said:

I'm afraid that is already on order as a tribute to the taxpayers funding the scheme !

They ordered two. The other is going on the Prom.

• Thanks 1