Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

I would say that Crookall instead of defending his department his overall interest should be defending the rights of the taxpayers. 

Don’t worry, the Manx Taxpayers Alliance have flagged this issue as being one of concern. 
I am sure they’ll sort it for us

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Don’t worry, the Manx Taxpayers Alliance have flagged this issue as being one of concern. 
I am sure they’ll sort it for us

Let’s hope the developer behind it doesn’t try to employ them so they’ll act in their interest instead. That would be terrible. I’m sure they’d be totally transparent about this though, so nothing to worry there. 

16 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's time the cops looked at this. We're in for a hundred million plus to a corrupt docklands development that's already under investigation. 

The whole issue should be subject to an independent examination. The issues here demand answers and accountability and our MHKs, if they have the best interests of the Island truly at heart, should be demanding it. The increase in costs are so staggering it goes beyond an explanation of oversight or unanticipated circumstances and suggests malpractice and/or maladministration at a senior level. There must be some accountability for this or we are condemned to bad government and waste until the money runs out.  

This is worth reading:
https://fearandloathing2021.wixsite.com/fearandloathingblog/post/too-big-to-fail-or-too-tainted-dumb-to-survive

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just to remember where we were 3 years ago. This was part of a BBC news item. Could cost up to £30 m. and it was good to see that Joe Anderson was delighted with the deal

"A new Isle of Man ferry terminal could cost up to £30m and open in Liverpool in 2021, the Manx government said.

It will be built half a mile (800m) from the current Pier Head facility at Princes Half-Tide Dock.

Subject to Tynwald approval, the Manx government will sign a long-term leasehold agreement with Peel Land and Property Limited for the site.

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson said: "It will cement our strong links with the Isle of Man. I'm delighted." "🙄

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, joebean said:

The whole issue should be subject to an independent examination. The issues here demand answers and accountability and our MHKs, if they have the best interests of the Island truly at heart, should be demanding it. The increase in costs are so staggering it goes beyond an explanation of oversight or unanticipated circumstances and suggests malpractice and/or maladministration at a senior level. There must be some accountability for this or we are condemned to bad government and waste until the money runs out.  

This is worth reading:
https://fearandloathing2021.wixsite.com/fearandloathingblog/post/too-big-to-fail-or-too-tainted-dumb-to-survive

You are correct but it won’t happen. Cost and time will be cited. Civil Servants will scurry around in a panic if an inquiry was launched. Independent inquiry? Doubt it, they prefer tame Athol Street and Manx Establishment type, someone who will make sympathetic and soothing noises, criticise without criticising.

MHKs Best Interests - sticking together and taking the money. Remember previous MHKs took the shilling did the Governments nasty work and voted accordingly. Ex MHK/MLC Cretney man of the people a case in point. Peter Karran and Kate Beecroft made lots of noise but delivered little, rather like Hooperman. 

I can’t imagine KLB sticking her head over the parapet and also JPW, who is more interested in being Alfs ‘sidekick’ as Deputy CM. Ashford that other man of integrity you can discount as he was merely a yes man. Juan ……… a useless washed up politico past his prime. I would concentrate on the likes of Harmer, Baker, Gawne, Alf, The Treasury as well as the Starship Enterprise. 

Alf, Ashford, Silly Billy and the Treasury need to be held accountable as to why no control was kept on the project. Mind you it’s like all of Government it’s completely out of control, and unaccountable. What makes me laugh is the yearly small countries financial management conference with small banana republics being given lectures on financial management and governance………………… priceless.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s hard to see how a full independent audit could not actually be demanded ASAP and at least a referral to the PAC. As that article says any normal sane person can see why this needs to be fully investigated. It’s a no-brainer. 

It won’t happen as it goes against everything that Tynpotwald stands for. They will protect their own, very unlikely to throw people to the wolves. After all if you get one big scalp, a load of others will follow, and then some may sing like canaries and divulge state secrets which may be embarrassing for some!

Towards the last administration Alf announced a new Treasury team to take control over capital projects worth over £3m. So smaller projects can be left to overrun and be over budget, whilst the developers or contractors do very nicely, due to poor diligence. Why didn’t Alf show any interest in either the Promenade or the Liverpool Ferry Terminal before? He showed loads of interest in the COVID rules and support schemes. The LVA and CoC complain and Alf and Ashy certainly listen that isn’t undeniable it’s a fact!

Edited by 2112

5 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

People need to pressure their MHKs. 

Mines Stu and he has been brilliant so far, always answers emails and on the end of the phone. I will let him know, and I’m sure he is aware of the public mood.

JPW meanwhile does respond to emails etc but I would say she is true Manx Establisment. I also doubt she has been to Liverpool on the Manannan, or knows the area. I’m very familiar with the area and travel on the Steam Packet monthly, like many others in here.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Mines Stu and he has been brilliant so far, always answers emails and on the end of the phone. I will let him know, and I’m sure he is aware of the public mood.

JPW meanwhile does respond to emails etc but I would say she is true Manx Establisment. I also doubt she has been to Liverpool on the Manannan, or knows the area. I’m very familiar with the area and travel on the Steam Packet monthly, like many others in here.

Don't waste your time with Stu, he ain't interested.

It’s really funny that Rob Callister had his TT scoreboard turned down by Alf, based on ‘no sound business case’, but yet money has been secured in this project, under Alfs watch since 2016. Alf was Treasury Minister from 2016-2021, before being made Chief Minister. Therefore funding was granted via Tynwald and you would have thought that someone would check what’s been spent, progress made and why excuses made, and the reasoning challenged vigorously. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 5