Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

21 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I am also not greatly in favour of Heysham as a freight port as apart from decent links to the M6

...students on qualifying to return then you need to ensure that there is a quality of life in the IoM that they are happy with. 

Where else would you suggest that freight departs from for the Island? Just to reiterate that LCC have placed a moratorium on our freight movement through Liverpool.

Many of the students who are returning here are only doing so because the IoMG is creating non-jobs for them (DEFA being a prime example). Their quality of life is not going to be added to by spending £100M on a Dock in Liverpool whilst other areas of Island life go begging for funding. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, London's complete lack of decent, direct sea connections means that no one wants to go there.

A novel interpretation of what I posted.

I believe for a lot of people having a good boat link to a city like Liverpool and airlinks to other places is important when assessing their quality of fife and and being happy living in the IoM or to move to the IoM.

There will many who will not give a damn and say just go by plane or go to Y instead. Not withstanding that Y if London is generally a more expensive to stay and get to let alone you waste the best part of an hour getting from the airport. yes you can get some cheap fares on the plane but generally flying is more expensive and that is ignoring the cost of having to book luggage in the hold.

The costs for the new dock have got silly but equally, just considering what might suite some individuals prefer rather than the population as a whole is equally silly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Indeed,  have been to Liverpool for concerts and always fly.  Why would you use up 6 hours on a boat? 

Cost, fear of flying etc. 

When you factor in getting to the airport , through security, transport from John Lennon airport, rather than arriving in the middle of the city there’s not really much difference in time.

And the journey is far more comfortable if you treat yourself to a seat in one of the lounges.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Indeed,  have been to Liverpool for concerts and always fly.  Why would you use up 6 hours on a boat? 

Lots of reasons. If I have to go to Liverpool and the Manannan is running I would prefer to take the boat. I find it more convenient and comfortable. 

• Like 1

A lot of people travel to Liverpool to shop as well as have a weekend off the Island.   So if you fly you have to make your way to the city centre from the airport, expensive, then you have to take an empty suitcase on the plane , as only one piece of hand baggage is allowed and pay for it once again on the return journey.    On the boat you can relax, land in the city centre, bring back as much shopping as you like free and by the time you have have driven to Ronaldsway, checked in and hung around about an hour before flying then reclaimed luggage and travelled to the city centre it is as quick or quicker to go on the boat without the stress of doing a virtual strip tease at the airport in security.   Give me the boat anytime.  Long live Liverpool and our valuable connection.   Anyway you can moan and groan it is happening.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hissingsid said:

A lot of people travel to Liverpool to shop as well as have a weekend off the Island.   So if you fly you have to make your way to the city centre from the airport, expensive, then you have to take an empty suitcase on the plane , as only one piece of hand baggage is allowed and pay for it once again on the return journey.    On the boat you can relax, land in the city centre, bring back as much shopping as you like free and by the time you have have driven to Ronaldsway, checked in and hung around about an hour before flying then reclaimed luggage and travelled to the city centre it is as quick or quicker to go on the boat without the stress of doing a virtual strip tease at the airport in security.   Give me the boat anytime.  Long live Liverpool and our valuable connection.   Anyway you can moan and groan it is happening.

This is a copy and paste from the original DOI business plan submitted to Treasury.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

The Liverpool flight is 45 minutes. The bus from JLA to Lime St is £2.30 and takes a whole 25min (I've just done it). That's not expensive. So a total of 70 minutes vs 3.5 hours.

One also has to travel to the Douglas Sea Terminal in order to catch the boat, and horror of horrors, check in early too (hang around). So another hour for most. Plus reclaiming your bags at the Liverpool end?

If and when the costs of the Liverpool Dock filter into SPCo fares there might well be charges for baggage too, it's already processed in an airport-like fashion so it would be an easy step. How much per bag (there'll be £100M +/- to recoup)?

The costs of this Dock may actually have the potential to damage IoM tourism. There's also the running costs which no-one seems to be willing to discuss yet.

But as long as some people think they can shop in Liverpool One a couple of weekends a year that's a price worth paying.

Edited by Non-Believer
correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2