Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

It will be interesting how (if) they decide to recoup this expense, as and when it ends. An extra £40 on a return ticket for Liverpool, Everton, Utd and City fans and Liverpool One shoppers should do the trick...after all, it's largely for their benefit 😂.

Or we could put another £10 - £15 on a pallet of freight. Or maybe just another blanket household tax for IoM residents? Because we are now signed up to an open-ended commitment in terms of cost and duration that even the President of Tynwald "can't" put figures to. £80M? £100M? £120M? It's just as well that we've got the projected 500k visitors a year travelling here by 2032 to help pay for it.

Suck it up locals, your MHKs and their entourage have just invited you to take your bite out of one of the biggest shit sandwiches that they've ever offered you.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Is the contract public ? No. There will be commercial confidentiality. You would imagine board reports and financial reports were in the public domain though

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but if you haven't seen the contract how do you know it would be unlawful to delay payment until we have some certainty ?

Why are the MHK's rolling over ? what does the contract contain ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but if you haven't seen the contract how do you know it would be unlawful to delay payment until we have some certainty ?

Because I have a basic bit up to date knowledge and experience of how these contracts work.

If the project manager says the work is done and to the satisfaction of the project supervisor then you have a legal obligation to pay up. You agreed this when you signed the contract. 

5 minutes ago, asitis said:

The MHKs have agreed to a commitment to pay for future work. 

10 minutes ago, asitis said:

Nudey pic's of Howie and Ashie!

7 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Suck it up locals, your MHKs and their entourage have just invited you to take your bite out of one of the biggest shit sandwiches that they've ever offered you.

And at the same time dithered over compensating traders who face a poor Christmas due to cancelled bookings. I’m really angry about this. We’ve been lied to to on this and none of them are prepared to be honest with the people who fund their wages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petefella said:

And at the same time dithered over compensating traders who face a poor Christmas due to cancelled bookings. I’m really angry about this. We’ve been lied to to on this and none of them are prepared to be honest with the people who fund their wages.

Honesty when it comes to their failures is not and never has been the strong suite.

Absolution and walking away with a handsome pension and retirement benefits is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Because I have a basic bit up to date knowledge and experience of how these contracts work.

If the project manager says the work is done and to the satisfaction of the project supervisor then you have a legal obligation to pay up. You agreed this when you signed the contract. 

Are you employed by the DoI by any chance?

17 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Raising the cost from £3.5m to over £70m looks to be pretty fucking unlawful from where I am sitting

It depends what the mugs have signed the GMTP up to, given also that the GMTP have apparently had little or no say in the matter either, outside of both the 2016 and 2021 Elections getting rid of the political members associated with it.

Notable that the project carried on and only now have concerns come to light, with a vote to continue whatever the apparent cost and duration?

15 minutes ago, HNWI said:

This has all the potential to be another massively mismanaged Isle of Man Government project with the eventual costs deposited on the Island taxpayers in the form of extra taxation or charges. Nobody seems to be yet asking about this.

That’s because it’s a time honoured tradition not to ask questions, but to ask questions when the project is finished, and then Tynpotwald is asked for a third time for more money, which will probably bring the final bill between £70-100million.

Sadly this project has been neglected by the DOI, the Treasury who quite frankly have been as bad as the DOI, and the politicos as a whole. Not enough questionning, or investigating has gone on in order to find answer, or even to influence policy regarding the Landing Stage. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Raising the cost from £3.5m to over £70m looks to be pretty fucking unlawful from where I am sitting

Outrageous, unacceptable, disastrous. I agree.

Sadly - 'unlawful' - Probably not.

9 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Are you employed by the DoI by any chance?

Thankfully no. If you could bother to read previous posts you will see I don't excuse the mess. I merely try to attempt to explain how we got here and how recovering is not simple.