Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Well they got the job. Rightly or wrongly. You cant hold that against them.

Isn't the point that they need to have clear specifications?  Frankly, there is nothing to suggest that the boots on the ground are responsible for this, but rather the specifications of the job have not hit the mark?

8 hours ago, Paulos The Great said:

I agree that’s appalling. So they’ve helped the taxpayer spunk £70 million on a £15 million original project but here’s some free toys for all the poor kiddies. Ebenezer Scrooge is alive and well. We’re just continually getting our pants taken down on this. 

I really think you need to divorce the two issues.

The act of charity by these apprentices making hand made toys for IOM Hospice ( not just the company making a cash donation you understand) should not be tainted by cynics. I doubt these apprentices had anything to do with the contract negotiations

Have legitimate concerns about the cost of the project but please don’t undermine those making a genuine gesture. It’s a bit mealy mouthed.

Happy Christmas everyone.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The act of charity by these apprentices making hand made toys for IOM Hospice ( not just the company making a cash donation you understand) should not be tainted by cynics. I doubt these apprentices had anything to do with the contract negotiations

Be interesting to know which toys in the photograph are hand made ? Charity my ass, just Government releasing something to add an air of respectability to a very bad smell. I am glad however that Hospice are the recipients !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Having spent a few minutes on google, Sisk seem like quite a small outfit (£150 mill turnover) and without any big marine type work previous.

They look like good contractors but not on this type of work?

Where you seeing £150mil? Google suggests more like £400m which sounds right for a well established Tier 2 like Sisk

7 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I really think you need to divorce the two issues.

I’m not sure I need to divorce anything to be honest and I think I’m fully entitled to be cynical as it’s my tax money that is being spent handing tens of millions of pounds to this company. No doubt they donate every year to a good cause linked to an entity they have a substantial contract with in order to obtain positive PR.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Paulos The Great said:

I’m not sure I need to divorce anything to be honest and I think I’m fully entitled to be cynical as it’s my tax money that is being spent handing tens of millions of pounds to this company. No doubt they donate every year to a good cause linked to an entity they have a substantial contract with in order to obtain positive PR.

OK then,be as churlish as you like

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, manxman34 said:

No. Wrong trial. Prosecutor in LCL trial of Penguin Books - Mervyn Griffith-Jones - who later became a judge.

As it happens Griffith-Jones also prosecuted in the Keeler trial as well[1] hence John's correction.  He tended to be involved in the prosecution of various high-profile cases -  in the Ruth Ellis one, he was junior counsel to Christmas Humphreys.  Who ironically was a Buddhist.

And a Merry Humphreys to you all.

[1]  Obviously if anyone had read the link in my original post that started this off, they would know all this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

As it happens Griffith-Jones also prosecuted in the Keeler trial as well[1] hence John's correction.  He tended to be involved in the prosecution of various high-profile cases -  in the Ruth Ellis one, he was junior counsel to Christmas Humphreys.  Who ironically was a Buddhist.

And a Merry Humphreys to you all.

[1]  Obviously if anyone had read the link in my original post that started this off, they would know all this.

The quotation was from the Penguin trial :)

13 hours ago, Paulos The Great said:

How empty must someones life be to make a comment like that on Xmas day? 

Merry Xmas. May your day be filled with joy! 

Thank you. Had a good day. Loved watching the grandchildren excitedly unwrapping their presents. 

Whilst you grapple with the politics and PR implications of a group of apprentices making toys for children I would rather concentrate on imagining the smiles on their faces as they opened their own gifts.

To me that’s more what it’s about.

I hope you had a good day too. (Seriously)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...