Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

I am really struggling to see how on earth you can spend nearly 100 million, the likely cost in the end, on such a small plot of land.

The figures of 10 mill here and 2 mill there did not add up to this amount.

More IOMGLS  (Isle of Man Government Lies) I think. - That is a new acronym TVOR BTW USOB

FFS we could have built another hospital at 1997? rates 🙂 for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I am really struggling to see how on earth you can spend nearly 100 million, the likely cost in the end, on such a small plot of land.

I think everyone is struggling to understand that

All I can imagine is that the ground and the walls need substantial reinforcement works to stop it all washing away the first time the Ben sets its bowtrusters at it and washes it all to oblivion.

Do you remember the heat rays?

Orson Welles's “War of the Worlds” Radio Broadcast | Origins

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think everyone is struggling to understand that

All I can imagine is that the ground and the walls need substantial reinforcement works to stop it all washing away the first time the Ben sets its bowtrusters at it and washes it all to oblivion.

Do you remember the heat rays?

Or alternately

image.png.c6e2f589ae3f74f1142883fc546b896e.png

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

We don't know. But such buildings have a high cost certainty I.e what gets quoted is normally close to the actual price as they are off the peg designs with little risk. Maybe somewhere around £2M I estimate. 

The wharfe/ Dock is a different proposition altogether. 

What's £2m based on? You would expect somewhere around £3000/m2 for a building of this type for direct costs, the planning app (Link) lists it as approx 3000m2 GIA (not including canopy areas of about the same).

That would put the buildings at £10-12m as a ballpark.

Edited by Mercenary
Formatting

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

What's £2m based on? You would expect somewhere around £3000/m2 for a building of this type for direct costs, the planning app (Link) lists it as approx 3000m2 GIA (not including canopy areas of about the same).

That would put the buildings at £10-12m as a ballpark.

Fair enough. The point was though that the £70M wasn't for the building. 

10 hours ago, asitis said:

I don't it could be FOC but as sure as hell 70 million + is going somewhere and I don't believe for one minute the politicos who voted on this have seen a full breakdown of who and for what !

Seems to be in the groundwork, not the building.  Let's hope they have more than a badly stocked vending machine for refreshment. 

• Like 1

I've seen this week claims that Peel Ports offered to build a brand new facility (at their cost) just a bit further up river... IOMSPC appear to have been happy with this.  But some bright spark(s) at DOI got involved and negotiated the current arrangement which had seen us all take a £70m+ bath. 

There has to be a paper trail supporting this and it needs to see the light of day. 

Also talking to someone at the IOMSPC this week they seem concerned that the positioning of the new berth is apparently at an ideal angle for the river to wash silt into it at a good rate. 

Did we actually have some knowledgeable people design this or did the DOI knock the scheme together? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

I've seen this week claims that Peel Ports offered to build a brand new facility (at their cost) just a bit further up river... IOMSPC appear to have been happy with this.  But some bright spark(s) at DOI got involved and negotiated the current arrangement which had seen us all take a £70m+ bath. 

There has to be a paper trail supporting this and it needs to see the light of day. 

Or it was all just a dream

• Haha 1