Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

Whatever the case, there is certainly a lot going on which they don't want public. People have suddenly left their posts, Peel Ports withdrew their offer to build the facility and we still went ahead. As various politicos have said over the years "we are where we are" . I look forward to the politicos now pressing for a full and frank enquiry, we cannot afford to keep messing up repeatedly , the public cannot pay enough taxes to write off these unbudgeted cock ups.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, James Blonde said:

Did we actually have some knowledgeable people design this or did the DOI knock the scheme together? 

If you read back in this post it seems that AECOM are the consulting engineer and the Project Manager is a renowned expert in harbours and Docks. 

Maybe he had an off day.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Whatever the case, there is certainly a lot going on which they don't want public. People have suddenly left their posts, Peel Ports withdrew their offer to build the facility and we still went ahead. As various politicos have said over the years "we are where we are" . I look forward to the politicos now pressing for a full and frank enquiry, we cannot afford to keep messing up repeatedly , the public cannot pay enough taxes to write off these unbudgeted cock ups.

PAC have to report by January 2023. One wonders where the project will be by then.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, James Blonde said:

I've seen this week claims that Peel Ports offered to build a brand new facility (at their cost) just a bit further up river... IOMSPC appear to have been happy with this.  But some bright spark(s) at DOI got involved and negotiated the current arrangement which had seen us all take a £70m+ bath. 

There has to be a paper trail supporting this and it needs to see the light of day. 

Also talking to someone at the IOMSPC this week they seem concerned that the positioning of the new berth is apparently at an ideal angle for the river to wash silt into it at a good rate. 

Did we actually have some knowledgeable people design this or did the DOI knock the scheme together? 

From memory this option was known about and included in discussions at the time. I am sure if you google it there will be references to it in newspaper or Tynwald reports from that time.

The offer though required the IoMSP to sign up to a "long term" user agreement. The IoMSP would not do that as it was then under private ownership and the commitment Peel Ports wanted was longer than the term left on the link span agreements in Douglas. Without those being renewed the IoMSP would not sign up with Peel Ports. The option was obviously there for IoM Government to extend the link span agreement with IoMSP or to agree a long term user agreement itself with Peel Ports.

At the time IoM Government thought the purchase and ownership option was better than leasing from Peel Ports. The IoM was about to effectively be kicked off the current landing stage by Peel Ports. I believe the concern was that the same could happen in future if the landing stage was only rented and as Peel Port would have an effective monopoly there was concern over future user costs.

The site originally proposed by Peel Ports was Princess Half Tide Dock. I am not sure if this is the same place that the IoM Govt acquired but I think they are fairly close to each other. No other options were available on the Mersey and it was not expected that any other options would become available. It should be remembered that Peel Group own large parts of the water front on both sides of the Mersey and much is already developed. At the time I believe IoM Government looked at various other options in the North West

The above is from Memory so apologies if I got anything wrong.

I am not an engineer or an expert on the movement of water and silt in the Mersey so cannot comment if deciding to build on the new site was a good option based on those factors.  I thought at the time the IoM owning its own landing stage was the right decision to make on the basis that you were not the mercy of the provider if with regard to the future and the rates might when any initial agreement expired if there were no realistic alternatives.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Lost Login said:

I thought at the time the IoM owning its own landing stage was the right decision to make on the basis that you were not the mercy of the provider if with regard to the future and the rates might when any initial agreement expired if there were no realistic alternatives.

If it were deemed vital we go to Liverpool then I agree, but with a caveat, that there surely had to be a sum of money at which this became not viable and I do wonder what that is or indeed was !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

What have they actually got for the money so far?

Hopefully we'll all have timeshare in Joe Anderson's retirement villa.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3