Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

35 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Don't be daft!

Having said that, why haven't IOMG or their project manager set up a website (similar to MyProm) to inform people about the project and the progress (or lack of) of it???  

A lot of questions being asked on here probably wouldn't arise if all the parties concerned were more transparent. Is that too much to ask??

Is that like the Myprom site that hasn't been updated since September ?? But broadly I agree with you 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

A lot of questions being asked on here probably wouldn't arise if all the parties concerned were more transparent. Is that too much to ask??

Crickey, Andy, this is IOM Government we are talking about, transparency is like garlic to a vampire !! LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Johnny F said:

Thanks for the response Stu, so in fact no we don't have anyone from IOM government on site. We may well be paying another UK firm to keep an eye on things but in my experience that is far short of the kind of direct oversight that we should have on a project of this size. I think that the big mistakes were made right at the start of this fiasco but we should now really commit to having a proper IOM taxpayer representative on site. 

Not sure that that will safeguard any better than our appointed professionals being there.  They have to look after their client's interests, DOI.  Having a person there from DOI will achieve little and also have the potential to foul up lines of responsibility, authority etc.

I really don't think this is down to the people on site, but to a proper feasibility undertaken at the outset with full surveys etc. 

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

Not sure that that will safeguard any better than our appointed professionals being there.  They have to look after their client's interests, DOI.  Having a person there from DOI will achieve little and also have the potential to foul up lines of responsibility, authority etc.

I really don't think this is down to the people on site, but to a proper feasibility undertaken at the outset with full surveys etc.

I have worked as a client rep and I can tell you there is no better motivator on a site than when the person paying the bills turns up!  I agree that the big money was lost at the start but lets just try and not waste any more or at least have an honest answer as to why costs are going up. I wouldn't trust these so called appointed professionals, they're probably not as 3rd party and independent as we'd like to think they should be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

I have worked as a client rep and I can tell you there is no better motivator on a site than when the person paying the bills turns up!  I agree that the big money was lost at the start but lets just try and not waste any more or at least have an honest answer as to why costs are going up. I wouldn't trust these so called appointed professionals, they're probably not as 3rd party and independent as we'd like to think they should be.

They aren't meant to be 3rd party and independent are they?  They are supposed to represent the client. 

Just now, Gladys said:

They aren't meant to be 3rd party and independent are they?  They are supposed to represent the client. 

Independent from the the main contractor is what I meant.  We the taxpayer are the client, the main contractor does the work and we have appointed a 3rd party to oversee the main contractor to ensure we get value for money. 

6 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

Independent from the the main contractor is what I meant.  We the taxpayer are the client, the main contractor does the work and we have appointed a 3rd party to oversee the main contractor to ensure we get value for money. 

Quite.

Although there is room to argue about who 'we' are and who the client is. 

Just think about how Albert Gubay used to work, always on site watching everything that happened, he didn't pay some random bloke to watch what was going on.  He was a millionaire and we are getting shafted, simple really isn't it.

I tell you what though this announcement that we have now got a representative on site begs the question, who was watching what was going on prior to their appointment?

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Do you want me to have a trip down to Liverpool and put a tape measure over it?

There could be dozens of ghost workers being charged for, machinery being charged for that is not on site, all sorts of shenanigans going on but we will never know. Some bloke, (appointed professional), getting 35grand a year to send a sit-rep to his masters miles away in the IOM couldn't give a flying feck so long as he's getting paid. So yeah get down there and check whats going on. I was there six months ago and there was no one on site for a week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1