The Marine Le Pen thread

Skeletor

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Not sure how you can assert a fact when the event wasn't even over but hey ho.

Turnout was lower than normal for French elections (presumably showing that both candidates were unloved by the remainder of the electorate) but still significantly higher than UK elections for many years and higher than the turnout for the EU referendum.

because they had live data from the some polling stations ffs, and 1/3 that voted didn't vote for either candidate, hardly a ringing endorsement..... 

11 minutes ago, woody2 said:

because they had live data from the some polling stations ffs, and 1/3 that voted didn't vote for either candidate, hardly a ringing endorsement..... 

We're not disagreeing on the opinions on the candidates, but where do you get the 1/3 that voted not voting for either candidate though?

The table on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_presidential_election,_2017 gives a breakdown of the 1st and 2nd rounds of voting. Turnout for the 1st round was 77.77% and for the 2nd round 74.56%, considered below normal by French standards but high compared to most countries (significantly higher than the UK and the USA). In the 1st round the level of spoilt votes (protest votes?) was low at 2.57% of the vote, it was higher in the 2nd round at 11.47% of the vote but that still does not equate to one third of the voters.

election.png

Still, 10 million votes for a party that wasn't even in the running a few years back is huge. Definitely a wake up call, but I think Macron will set them right. 

9 minutes ago, woody2 said:

bbc quoted it:rolleyes: but looking at your post,it must be abstentions and blank/null votes.....

I thought you considered the BBC to be libtard FAKE NEWS? Anyway it can't be that, even looking at the 2nd ballot the spoilt votes is a percentage of the actual cast votes and the abstentions is a percentage of the eligible electorate. So it simply isn't a case of adding 11.47% to the abstentions of 25.44%.

2 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

I thought you considered the BBC to be libtard FAKE NEWS? Anyway it can't be that, even looking at the 2nd ballot the spoilt votes is a percentage of the actual cast votes and the abstentions is a percentage of the eligible electorate. So it simply isn't a case of adding 11.47% to the abstentions of 25.44%.

looks like thats what they did.....

12 minutes ago, woody2 said:

looks like thats what they did.....

And you appear to have freely accepted it until the facts were checked. I suppose it highlights the dangers of believing everything you read without checking it.

1 minute ago, mojomonkey said:

And you appear to have freely accepted it until the facts were checked. I suppose it highlights the dangers of believing everything you read without checking it.

no, that was the fact given when the result was first announced.....

Just now, woody2 said:

nope, thats what was said at the time....

Crikey, that's not what I asked. Not sure I can make it any simpler to understand but I'll try.

Do you accept that the statement made earlier (allegedly by the BBC, though not actually referenced) has subsequently been shown to be incorrect?

54 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Still, 10 million votes for a party that wasn't even in the running a few years back is huge. Definitely a wake up call, but I think Macron will set them right. 

The winners (En Marche) have only existed since April 2016! French politics is anything but staid.

Archived