The Marine Le Pen thread

Skeletor

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be a brave man who had much confidence about predicting elections in these times where a prosperous European country voted to leap off a cliff, and the US elected a poisonous fool to the presidency. FWIW, I think that Le Pen will fail to get a 50% majority on 23 April, but will go through to the second round alongside Macron, or quite possibly Fillon, despite the false jobs scandal. In the second round, Le Pen will not be a palatable choice for those who did not vote for her in the first round, and Macron or Fillon will be elected.

It's a turning point and I desperately hope that centrists win and show that Europe need not throw away what it has achieved since the Second World War.

Centrists may win this time but it won't solve the problems that have led to the rise of the right. It will only be a pause. People see that what the centrists have achieved is gigantic bureaucracy, remote government that ignores their fears and aspirations, a hollowing out of their industries which have been moved to sweated labour economies in the East and an influx of malign alien cultures and practices from other continents. Not the greatest of achievements, really.

It would be a brave man who had much confidence about predicting elections in these times where a prosperous European country voted to leap off a cliff, and the US elected a poisonous fool to the presidency. FWIW, I think that Le Pen will fail to get a 50% majority on 23 April, but will go through to the second round alongside Macron, or quite possibly Fillon, despite the false jobs scandal. In the second round, Le Pen will not be a palatable choice for those who did not vote for her in the first round, and Macron or Fillon will be elected.

It's a turning point and I desperately hope that centrists win and show that Europe need not throw away what it has achieved since the Second World War.

Centrists may win this time but it won't solve the problems that have led to the rise of the right. It will only be a pause. People see that what the centrists have achieved is gigantic bureaucracy, remote government that ignores their fears and aspirations, a hollowing out of their industries which have been moved to sweated labour economies in the East and an influx of malign alien cultures and practices from other continents. Not the greatest of achievements, really.

This is the big joke of this "down trodden masses" rubbish...Do they honestly think that things will be different under the "new far right"?

I couldn't agree more. Le Pen and the so-called "right", even if they don't win the elections, force the so-called "centre" to shift further to the right. It's a revolution of ideas and an electoral win isn't necessary. A long-term ideological movement isn't going to lose just because of an election. They are winning in the war of ideas.

Unfortunately, the only sensible response I can give to that is that we shall see. It is without doubt foolish of centrist politicians to ignore those problems, which are genuine. However, I cannot see for the life of me how the right has any solutions that do not entail isolationism and the abandonment of free trade and internationalism. To me, the risks appear lie predominantly on he side of the isolationist right rather than with those that seek to preserve the European Union.

Archived