Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

That's interesting because I went through all EZY flights ex IOM-LPL from 1st December through to 19th January and the cheapest I could find was £31.50.

Well you can book one for £17:83 right now if you want, the prices seem to have gone down from last week when it cost me £19 both ways. Type in IOM-LPL flying Sunday 9th coming back Tuesday 11th for two adults and one child, which is our travelling party, and you it'll cost you £17:83 to fly out and £19:18 to come back.

38 minutes ago, asitis said:

I don't see how a light touch regulation is bad for anyone ! it seems to me that if you are a cheap airline and you are meeting the capacities you require, then how would you cope if someone even cheaper descended on the route and put you far below your load minima, if they were sufficiently business aggressive to, in effect, buy you off the route and didn't care about short term losses  ? 

Government attracted easy jet to the island, not a bad move for consumers I agree, but it did have consequences, the loss of the Gatwick Flybe aircraft was the catalyst to the base closure and the loss of maybe 100 taxable incomes when people re located.

What I am suggesting is the protection of businesses who are making a go of our niche market, not preventing anyone who wishes to start a route not already served. Maybe Easy are big enough and cost effective enough to not worry about competitors but that won't be true of every operator and route !

Turns a full circle though. Flybe will re-open their base here in the Spring, basing a couple of Q400's here when Stobart give their aircraft back once their lease is up. Flybe are advertising for staff here I think (or so someone told me).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Well you can book one for £17:83 right now if you want, the prices seem to have gone down from last week when it cost me £19 both ways. Type in IOM-LPL flying Sunday 9th coming back Tuesday 11th for two adults and one child, which is our travelling party, and you it'll cost you £17:83 to fly out and £19:18 to come back.

I think the difference is explained by the £16 per booking admin fee. You are dividing it by 6  sector whereas Andy is looking at an IOM LPL single

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I think the difference is explained by the £16 per booking admin fee. You are dividing it by 6  sector whereas Andy is looking at an IOM LPL single

I was aware of that but I needed to give my post a bit of context. Which still doesn't detract from my original point that you can get off the island for £20, sub £20 even. Andy said he'd never seen a £20 fare, whereas you can see a £17 one right now, even though it cost me a few quid more last week for some reason.

53 minutes ago, asitis said:

I don't see how a light touch regulation is bad for anyone ! it seems to me that if you are a cheap airline and you are meeting the capacities you require, then how would you cope if someone even cheaper descended on the route and put you far below your load minima, if they were sufficiently business aggressive to, in effect, buy you off the route and didn't care about short term losses  ? 

Government attracted easy jet to the island, not a bad move for consumers I agree, but it did have consequences, the loss of the Gatwick Flybe aircraft was the catalyst to the base closure and the loss of maybe 100 taxable incomes when people re located.

What I am suggesting is the protection of businesses who are making a go of our niche market, not preventing anyone who wishes to start a route not already served. Maybe Easy are big enough and cost effective enough to not worry about competitors but that won't be true of every operator and route !

I never said any regulation was bad, I just pointed out we wouldn't have the path to our door beaten down by operators wanting to enter into one. The UK domestic air market is dominated by a few players who probably wouldn't bother with it and the rest play around the edges where they can try to make a market for themselves.  

43 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I was aware of that but I needed to give my post a bit of context. Which still doesn't detract from my original point that you can get off the island for £20, sub £20 even. Andy said he'd never seen a £20 fare, whereas you can see a £17 one right now, even though it cost me a few quid more last week for some reason.

I was looking one-way only.

1 hour ago, cheesypeas said:

Turns a full circle though. Flybe will re-open their base here in the Spring, basing a couple of Q400's here when Stobart give their aircraft back once their lease is up. Flybe are advertising for staff here I think (or so someone told me).

All previous plans Flybe had are probably up in the air until any sale goes through I would imagine. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Grayling said that the move was 'supported' by the Government. I wonder if he meant that as in, "it's good idea" or whether UKGOV is going to financially support FlyBe to operate the route? Keep in mind of course that by next April Brexit will have taken place.