Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

29 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The only real option is an airline based here, operating a network centred here. Manx did that. However the air industry has moved on since then.

Manx did it very well and reliably, but at a price. I can fly to Liverpool, Manchester or London for far less than I could 30 years ago, not just in real terms but in actual cash terms, and there wasn't even air passenger duty then. That is quite phenomenal by any measure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Catch up at the back. Scroll back to page 6 or 7. Read.

Branson hasn’t a record of success with feeder airlines.

There'll always be someone willing to fly IoM LPL. Other routes, and operators, come and go. Have done since the days of Dan Air, BEA, Silver City, Cambrian.

The only real option is an airline based here, operating a network centred here. Manx did that. However the air industry has moved on since then.

My apologies. Hadn’t realised the news that it had actually been sold had already been stated so far back. I wasn’t reading (as I’d done that some time ago now), I was informing. Plus, it’s a consortium, not entirely Branson based, hence my following question.

Edited by manxst

23 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Catch up at the back. Scroll back to page 6 or 7. Read.

Branson hasn’t a record of success with feeder airlines.

There'll always be someone willing to fly IoM LPL. Other routes, and operators, come and go. Have done since the days of Dan Air, BEA, Silver City, Cambrian.

Indeed.

Cyrus (the new financial backers) only invest in airlines that make a profit, mostly US ones. So they're going to struggle to understand why Flybe can't do the same in a completely different (and in what is essentially) domestic market place.

Add to that the fact that Virgin bollixed up their attempt to feed their core business last time around then I think it'll be a case of who blinks first. The thing that amazes me is that Stobart have effectively handed over all their assets to the consortium.

1 minute ago, Nellie said:

How can that possibly be an informed comment? You've just plucked those numbers totally out of thin air! 

Look Terry, if all comments on here were informed then the forum would cease to exist! It's my best guess based on current and past data for the summer period.

22 hours ago, woolley said:

Manx did it very well and reliably, but at a price. I can fly to Liverpool, Manchester or London for far less than I could 30 years ago, not just in real terms but in actual cash terms, and there wasn't even air passenger duty then. That is quite phenomenal by any measure.

Manx flights to LTN were sold at 69 squid, competing against itself on the LHR route.

LHR has always been expensive.

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Manx flights to LTN were sold at 69 squid, competing against itself on the LHR route.

That was farecracker, with all sorts of conditions and restrictions, including availability and was aimed at a wholly different market.

Last full fare flexible I did on Manx to Luton wasn’t much cheaper than the Heathrow fare.

When I was in full time practice I was, for 15 years, averaging at least one London work trip a week and every second weekend.

I got adept in choosing the right flights for timing using LHR or LTN and on occasion BHX or MAN and train ( with dining car breakfast ) and often flew out one route and back another.

Was able to do lots of reading and preparation on the train. Didn’t like that on plane as was easily overlooked.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Yes, quite right. And the Liverpool Farecracker in 1989 was £26. In both cases other flights were available for double and treble the cost. If you are prepared/able to be flexible, you can now do either Liverpool, Gatwick or Bristol for £23.14 by Easyjet, which is crazy cheap.

I appreciate that Manx could be flexible when they wanted to be (depended who you got sometimes), and it included a reserved seat, baggage, cup of tea, butty and a chocolate with three legs. I also know that you can pay dearly now, particularly if you want a big bag with you or you make a mistake on your booking AND you curse if it doesn't go because the bloody thing is still on the apron in Barcelona. But hell, it's not bad is it? Big comfyish plane and reasonable choice of destinations. How many would go back to what we had given the choice?

• Like 2

It's certainly taken away one of the historical disadvantages of living here, which is now easy and affordable access on and off. It can still add another £500 to the cost of a family holiday with flights/baggage/hotels but considering the reasonable tax rates and quality of living it's not a bad trade off.

Edited by Lxxx

Since Manx left Heathrow I’ve never been back or passed through it since.  LHR isn’t necessary, when you can travel pretty much anywhere via MAN or LGY. These are our existing routes and these should be ring fenced.

To get LHR would be someone’s vanity project and it’ll only cost an obscene unnecessary amount, which tbh they love doing. Similar to how they spending on Liverpool as a “necessary” port. Give over. 

Just now, Chef Raekwon said:

Ok, but then who runs it?  Are we realistically bringing in top quality airline management from somewhere, or do they give control to a bunch of chancers?

I would not have a clue who would be on the board. Just hope it does not get to that.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, Andy Onchan said:

I wish for better connections to elsewhere in the world without having to resort to lumping suitcases/baggage on the light rail/underground.

Have you ever tried booking tickets directly on Emirates..I am doing this on every business trip eastwards. 

I  can check in my bags here and pick it up in Asia/Middle east..The first flight is to Manchester via flybe codeshare and  once there you can go through flight transfers and connect to the next flight ( Don't have to go through the mad Manchester security queue which makes IOM look nice )

Obviously will cost a bit more than booking from the UK but I can save an overnight hotel stay + road/rail transfer etc and I find it is well worth.

Also if any of the flights are delayed and you miss the next one then they will sort it out .

The only time it gets too expensive is during the TT week when the first flight gets very expensive and gets  priced in.

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1