Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

On 2/24/2019 at 10:53 AM, mad_manx said:

Have you ever tried booking tickets directly on Emirates..I am doing this on every business trip eastwards. 

I  can check in my bags here and pick it up in Asia/Middle east..The first flight is to Manchester via flybe codeshare and  once there you can go through flight transfers and connect to the next flight ( Don't have to go through the mad Manchester security queue which makes IOM look nice )

Obviously will cost a bit more than booking from the UK but I can save an overnight hotel stay + road/rail transfer etc and I find it is well worth.

Also if any of the flights are delayed and you miss the next one then they will sort it out .

The only time it gets too expensive is during the TT week when the first flight gets very expensive and gets  priced in.

I've done the Flybe/Emirates route to DXB twice in the last 3 years, so its not a destination I go to very often. They didn't cover themselves in glory first time around. Believe it or not they managed to lose my luggage (tagged all the way through) between MAN & DXB. All other aspects of the transit & travel were fine. Second time it all went OK. And I guess if it's an oft used route then it's quite a good service.

I agree, it's the add-on's and transfer aggro that make some trips both expensive and tiresome (especially for someone of a certain age like me!). 

1 hour ago, woolley said:

If you want to become a millionaire in airlines, start off with ten million. Unless you're Michael O'Leary in which case you start off with bugger all and kiss The Blarney Stone.

Stelios hasn’t done badly, either, although he had some family money. O’Leary had an existing airline from which to develop,  Stelios started from scratch.

O’Leary’s shareholding is worth about £660,000,000 (4%), whereas Stelios, through easygroup, is about double that (34%)

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Stelios hasn’t done badly, either, although he had some family money. O’Leary had an existing airline from which to develop,  Stelios started from scratch.

I actually thought about Stelios when I was posting that. As you say though, there was family money - a little more than "some" - as his father was big in Greek shipping. The old man was self-made though.

O'Leary on the other hand had worked his way up through setting up newsagents shops and studying taxation. He met Frank Ryan in the late 80s with a view to becoming his tax advisor, and the rest is history. There is a very readable biography of his trials and tribulations.

Of the two, I think O'Leary's achievements are the more impressive because Stelios could hire in expertise if he was stuck, and not worry too much about the cost. O'Leary was flying by the seat of the pants, albeit they were Ryan's pants.

It would be churlish not to admire them both.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, display name said:

He had a bit more than "some" money

He had £30million. He used it to found Stelmar, later sold for £1bn, and EasyJet now worth £5bn. Not sure that there was much to spare for easyJet. Two old chartered planes.

The big jump for Easy was internet booking, which Stelios almost vetoed.

I think they are both worth approximately the same amount.

And let’s not forget that for the first few years Stelios was offering a virtual airline, didn’t have an AOC, just did the bookings. Flights operated by GB Airlines, iirc

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

He had £30million. He used it to found Stelmar, later sold for £1bn, and EasyJet now worth £5bn. Not sure that there was much to spare for easyJet. Two old chartered planes.

The big jump for Easy was internet booking, which Stelios almost vetoed.

I think they are both worth approximately the same amount.

And let’s not forget that for the first few years Stelios was offering a virtual airline, didn’t have an AOC, just did the bookings. Flights operated by GB Airlines, iirc

John, if your daddy is filthy rich it's a whole different ball game.

For anyone who is having issues booking flights with the new Flybe website just change your country to United Kingdom from Isle of Man. It wouldn't take my payment details until I lied and said I lived in the United Kingdom from the dropdown boxes.

Maybe this is Post Brexit planning already.

• 2 weeks later...

What's going on with the new pricing policy at Flybe since the takeover. Never seen thee types of prices to get to Manchester before. £100-150+ for quite a few flights. Profiteering of a captive market perhaps.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, piebaps said:

I've seen three for ages. There's the el cheapo hand luggage only, a mid range price with a bag and then a fully flexible.

I think Lxxx meant "these".  Prices do seem to have increased significantly, nearly £500 for a fully flexible return to MCR. You can get a scheduled return Manchester to Los Angeles for less. Looks like Flybe are handing Easyjet more business.

But then Flybe were in dire financial trouble on the basis of their previous pricing, so maybe some increases were to be expected.

• Like 1