Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I’ve just booked short notice to go to Liverpool. Didn’t even look at Flybe, mainly because of their tiny carry on case policy. 

It was also still sixty quid cheaper to fly and hire a car than using the Packet.

Hey, don’t forget that the steamie may be paying your pension :P

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2019 at 7:49 AM, Derek Flint said:

What I paid in was a lot, but it won’t cover it on a payback basis if I get as good an innings as Hector!

Many don't. In fact many never get far enough to draw a penny in pension. I appreciate you refer to an occupational pension, but I know of quite a few women who were relying on a state pension to retire and who have now died around 63 or 64 having worked and paid in those extra years and benefited to the square root of fuck all. Not everyone has the means to knock off early and please themselves. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Probably just silly old me but has flybe abandoned through ticketing on their own system?

Just tried to book IOM - Southampton in February.  Before it would give you all the options via Manchester - now 'route not available'.

Ignore - looks like a glitch (how strange!) in the flybe website - seems normal now which can't be said about the fares!

Edited by Utah 01
flybe gets its website working

20 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

Probably just silly old me but has flybe abandoned through ticketing on their own system?

Just tried to book IOM - Southampton in February.  Before it would give you all the options via Manchester - now 'route not available'.

Ignore - looks like a glitch (how strange!) in the flybe website - seems normal now which can't be said about the fares!

Flybe prices are terrible now.

My usual trips to Manchester are now via Liverpool for half the price.

8 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Flybe operate the old Dash 8 Q400`s` which are old, high maintenance, and arn`t fuel efficient, compared to the Airbus A320, so unless they can replace the fleet with more modern aircraft, they will never make money, unless they can change,

Except you can’t compare a Q400, 70 seater, with an A320 180 seater.

Flybe are getting rid of its ATR’s and Embraer jets because their routes, load factors,  and the airports they fly in/out of are suited to Q400’s, not A320’s.

• Like 1

Flybe operate the old Dash 8 Q400`s` which are old, high maintenance, and arn`t fuel efficient, compared to the Airbus A320

Q400s aren't fuel efficient?

Have you got the fuel burn for say IOM-LPL available for Q400 and A320 (or the A319)?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LightBulb said:

Flybe operate the old Dash 8 Q400`s` which are old, high maintenance, and arn`t fuel efficient, compared to the Airbus A320, so unless they can replace the fleet with more modern aircraft, they will never make money, unless they can change,

E7B93C67-CDFD-4874-B6C7-5EC7D7BE7321.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Except you can’t compare a Q400, 70 seater, with an A320 180 seater.

Flybe are getting rid of its ATR’s and Embraer jets because their routes, load factors,  and the airports they fly in/out of are suited to Q400’s, not A320’s.

Have to say the landing at Manchester on Monday evening was quite exceptionally good.

Which surprised me as it was blowing a bit and the Q400 has quite a small wheelbase.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Which surprised me as it was blowing a bit and the Q400 has quite a small wheelbase.

Not as bad as the ATR72 used by Stobart/AerLingus. The Q400 has a wide wheelbase (track) to help make crosswind landings easier/safer/more comfortable. That's often why the ATR will not be able to land on windy days and the Dash will, as the Dash can operate at a higher crosswind component.

They do have pretty shite suspension though!

• Confused 1