Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Unless you think that Flybe would have gouged the Manx public and government so much that the money would have been enough to keep the whole airline going.

Gouging the Manx public (though generally by the Govt itself) to keep "whole things" going is the general outlook over here....? I was hearing some tales about MUA (electrical side) "expenditures" yesterday that IF true would certainly raise a few blood pressures amongst bill and sewerage charge payers. Including mine.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well except that if everything had been given to one preferred operator, they could have still gone under and the Airport would be completely deserted.  Unless you think that Flybe would have gouged the Manx public and government so much that the money would have been enough to keep the whole airline going.

The dynamics of running an airline these days are not as clear cut as you think...... communities stuck out on the edge or way from major hubs need sustainable air links to survive. IOM is not a hub, in operational terms it on a par with the HIAL.  

• Like 1

With regard to easyJet Liverpool flights, it's probably better to look at the pattern over the next few months:

image.thumb.png.964325fa952e077766f4bd01d6644f27.png

The situation isn't helped by there being no March Tuesday flights on the schedule (nor on Wed 25) but into April and May there's more space, though prices at have risen from yesterday as the cheaper seats have been taken up by those re-booking.

The real problem is that 82% of Flybe's passengers in 2019 went to/from Liverpool or Manchester, 72% if you discount the 10% patient transfers for which there are alternative arrangement being made.  That's a lot of people to find space for, but it's also a commercial opportunity for someone.  In contrast there's much less of an increase seen on Gatwick flights.

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well except that if everything had been given to one preferred operator, they could have still gone under and the Airport would be completely deserted.  Unless you think that Flybe would have gouged the Manx public and government so much that the money would have been enough to keep the whole airline going.

Clearly Flybe has been a sick man for a long time and as such would not have been a preferred operator, it was too large and too diverse in its outreach for it to be a sole franchisee here!

We really have got to get out of the we are a hub mode and we always need to expand mode, and get into a mindset of we need to get people on and off of our island, I maintain that the pie in the sky management of the airport and its deluded visions of grandeur have damaged more than helped the situation.

Whether there is a suitable operator at the moment I have no idea, but I seriously think we need to sit down and rethink the whole strategy of airline operations !

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

Clearly Flybe has been a sick man for a long time and as such would not have been a preferred operator, it was too large and too diverse in its outreach for it to be a sole franchisee here!

We really have got to get out of the we are a hub mode and we always need to expand mode, and get into a mindset of we need to get people on and off of our island, I maintain that the pie in the sky management of the airport and its deluded visions of grandeur have damaged more than helped the situation.

Whether there is a suitable operator at the moment I have no idea, but I seriously think we need to sit down and rethink the whole strategy of airline operations !

You, me, 'Travel Watch' and a few others who can look beyond their next fifty-quid late night arrival into Gatwick have been saying this for years. Even with guano spinning off the propellers, our mind-dead parish councilors will simply sit and hope 'something will turn up' .

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The dynamics of running an airline these days are not as clear cut as you think...... communities stuck out on the edge or way from major hubs need sustainable air links to survive. IOM is not a hub, in operational terms it on a par with the HIAL.  

inverness is a hub......

5 minutes ago, sir nige said:

inverness is a hub......

You're right, it is.... but you have to get there first from the other outlying airports!

That's the point I and ASITIS are making! We need a meaningful, sustainable link to the UK that we can rely on, one that isn't subject to the vagaries of the here-today-gone-tomorrow low-cost airlines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, asitis said:

If you look at the analysis of the domestic air market I posted on a previous page (and the CAA data it was based on), there simply isn't anyone else at the moment and it's arguable that there's no space for anyone to enter the market in the same way.  Consolidation has long been how the airline industry has gone and unless you can control that (much less likely with the UK out of the EU) the mid-size airlines will either fail or succeed and be bought up and gutted.  It's possible that Stobart will become a 'proper' airline and cover the routes, but nothing to guarantee that one of those two fates won't eventually happen to them.

As I keep on saying those who believe that capitalism is obliged to provide them with what they want are going to be continually disappointed.

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

You're right, it is.... but you have to get there first from the other outlying airports!

That's the point I and ASITIS are making! We need a meaningful, sustainable link to the UK that we can rely on, one that isn't subject to the vagaries of the here-today-gone-tomorrow low-cost airlines.

well iomg could spend a fortune like jersey yet 57% of its flights was flybe.....

1 minute ago, sir nige said:

well iomg could spend a fortune like jersey yet 57% of its flights was flybe.....

The last thing I'm advocating is this Government run anything, especially an airline, what I am advocating is Government make the conditions for an operator to flourish with guarantees on both sides. All we have had is the continuous roundabout of airlines for the past 30yrs! I am singularly unconvinced open skies does any good at all.

• Like 1