Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

Thanks Utah - I've posted before on the ministerial structure adopted - IMO totally wrong for a small admin (even tho it believes it operates above its weight in the international arena) - in the UK 90,000 is smaller than all country boroughs with a smaller council let alone city majors with a small inner cabinet. One option is a small elected (on a universal suffrage) Comin executive, a Keys with no ministerial role acting as legislative and oversight of the small group being elected half every 3 yrs with a committee structure with outside members to oversee + set guidance but not day-to-day control of the various departments.
If it could be arranged some form of position swop, say on a 3 year period, between mid-level staff in other maybe UK (inc Scotland when this leaves in near future) , maybe Eire + NI - this could both educate + widen the staff tho there is great problem that the better local staff will be poached tho we may find some who appreciate a family friendly place to live.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

If, as currently being discussed on Twitter, a rescue plan has been sorted, I apologise for being a doubter and take my hat off to all those who have negotiated the deal.

34 minutes ago, Cypman said:

If, as currently being discussed on Twitter, a rescue plan has been sorted, I apologise for being a doubter and take my hat off to all those who have negotiated the deal.

But is it the right deal and at what cost and how long will the services last? We'll soon find out I guess.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Frances said:

Thanks Utah - I've posted before on the ministerial structure adopted - IMO totally wrong for a small admin (even tho it believes it operates above its weight in the international arena) - in the UK 90,000 is smaller than all country boroughs with a smaller council let alone city majors with a small inner cabinet. One option is a small elected (on a universal suffrage) Comin executive, a Keys with no ministerial role acting as legislative and oversight of the small group being elected half every 3 yrs with a committee structure with outside members to oversee + set guidance but not day-to-day control of the various departments.
If it could be arranged some form of position swop, say on a 3 year period, between mid-level staff in other maybe UK (inc Scotland when this leaves in near future) , maybe Eire + NI - this could both educate + widen the staff tho there is great problem that the better local staff will be poached tho we may find some who appreciate a family friendly place to live.

:lol:

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But is it the right deal and at what cost and how long will the services last? We'll soon find out I guess.

Most likely akin to an aspirin being taken to mask a serious underlying illness.

The whole transport policy needs review. We are vulnerable to the frailties of the companies who provide our vital air links and we don’t need to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Isn't Terry Liddiard - ex-Manx Airlines, still around? He's the voice of 'Travel Watch' on aviation matters. Bung him a few quid to come up with a plan.

35 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

The whole transport policy needs review. We are vulnerable to the frailties of the companies who provide our vital air links and we don’t need to be.

But the only way we can guarantee those 'vital links' would be to run our own airline and that costs Guernsey (which has about the same size of air market) about £10 million a year.  Given the jaw-dropping incompetence of those running the DoI and related areas, we could probably double or triple that and add oodles more for whatever mad capital projects they feel they can justify with the extra responsibility.

If all we did was to come to arrangements with particular airlines to run services that we wanted, then that would also require subsidy and there would be no guarantee that those airlines wouldn't collapse or renege out of the agreements when it no longer suited them.  We'd lose the flexibility of Open Skies, have similar outcomes and have thrown away a lot of cash.

And that is without considering how we would decide just what those 'vital links' were.  As I wrote earlier:

One of the more bizarre things about travel and tourism is that the hardest-headed capitalists suddenly start believing that the world has the obligation to provide whatever they want for next to nothing.  People who will lecture you for hours on the laws of supply and demand, start whinging about unfairness because it costs more for a family holiday when the schools are off.  Businessmen who scream at the slightest hint of state interference, demand that airlines be made to provide flights at times when it suits them, no matter what it costs the airline or government (and whether they actually bother to use those flights anyway).  It's all very odd.

Actually the collapse of Flybe rather illustrates just how flexible and reactive the airline industry under Open Skies is.  We are already seeing routes being taken up and bookings organised as well as things like the easyJet offer (and similar scheme from other parts of the travel industry).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, snowman said:

Thank goodness for easyjet or there would be nothing

And thank goodness for their wonderful cabin baggage allowance which means so many of us fly cheaper and don't need to pay to check a bag

And thank god for their low fares at the moment! (Not)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, snowman said:

Thank goodness for easyjet or there would be nothing

And thank goodness for their wonderful cabin baggage allowance which means so many of us fly cheaper and don't need to pay to check a bag

Have you seen the xxxxx prices!!!!