Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

From what I can gather there are a few airline pilots living on the island. Yes it will be sad if they lose their jobs, but in all fairness, they are well educated and are well trained, and have a high skill set, as well as having a reasonable salary, which I turn leads to a good standard of living.

However, we need to concentrate on the likes of skilled engineers, local university graduates and school and college leavers.  The long term unemployed and those on the register, capable and able of working but in some cases are too bone idle to get out of bed, these need attention.

I really think that most of our politicos live up in the clouds, they certainly don’t live in the real world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I've just listened to that and it's exactly as stupid as you would expect it to be, which is to say: very.  Perkins clearly has no idea not just of how the airline business operates but of how any sizeable business operates.  It's slightly terrifying that he's allowed out in public. 

Perkins has been a hidden gem of idiocy since his election. Others like Quayle and Callister get airtime, both literally and on these pages, but take time to read Perkins in Hansard or ‘enjoy’ his brief forays on the Nation’s Station and you soon appreciate that this clown is a full-on, time-served, cretin. 

On another point, if there was any kind of editorial discretion or action at MR, someone would’ve listened to that garbage and lobbed it straight in the bin. Whether they’re simply too sodding idle to assess the quality of what’s been recorded or, alternatively, they’d be chastised for daring to reject an interview with one of our infallible MHKs I don’t know, but that interview was so appallingly useless and nonsensical it should have been rejected out of hand.

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

The long term unemployed and those on the register, capable and able of working but in some cases are too bone idle to get out of bed, these need attention.

While obviously there are a few, there can't be that many. 7 weeks on JSA during the lockdown has reinforced to me just how hard it is to live on that money. No one is living much of a life on that, you'd pull your finger out and go and get a job.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

While obviously there are a few, there can't be that many. 7 weeks on JSA during the lockdown has reinforced to me just how hard it is to live on that money. No one is living much of a life on that, you'd pull your finger out and go and get a job.

You might, plenty of other's can't be arsed.

1 minute ago, finlo said:

You might, plenty of other's can't be arsed.

I just don't get how. You get just enough to survive, but no spare money. I don't know how anyone could do it long term. You'd go mad with the stress of watching every penny.

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I just don't get how. You get just enough to survive, but no spare money. I don't know how anyone could do it long term. You'd go mad with the stress of watching every penny.

It won't be the only benny they can wangle.

2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Has there been any sort of announcement yet as to when those on furlough can be officially classed as benefit scum yet. Which week on the roadmap may one bring plasma TV's/sky sports subscriptions/benson and hedges into it?

Don't forget the White Lightning cider...

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Quite a collection of ifs, buts and maybes in there. Sounds like a sale of assets but no resurrection of an airline.

21 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Quite a collection of ifs, buts and maybes in there. Sounds like a sale of assets but no resurrection of an airline.

Indeed. But it looks as though Cyrus haven't thrown in the towel: 

https://news.sky.com/story/former-flybe-shareholder-cyrus-in-talks-about-reviving-collapsed-regional-airline-12106341