Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

2 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess! 
A local MHK did some sums this year and it wasn't cheap and ticket prices were quite high.

But, what was not quantified, were the benefits.

I'd like to hear about these benefits to see if they can outweigh the substantial costs involved, the high ticket prices and the inevitable large sums of money going down the drain as the empire grows. 

Edited by Lxxx

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

And neither is EZY.

No commercial company is, airline or not. Anyone who conduct affairs here does so because it is commercially profitable for them. Whether that is Easyjet or Microgaming. Let's dispense with this talk about how we need to nationalise everything for the good of the island. The good of the island is served by keeping as much out of the hands of the state as possible.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

And neither is EZY.

I think they're a victim of issues that are actually partly of the Island's own making, to be honest.

We have this obsession that the airport MUST be closed by 9pm I think it is and we charge airlines mega money to stay open later than this. It has to stop in the future when air services resume. It often resulted in the easy Gatwick cancellations because the cost to keep the airport open for another 2hrs due to a knock on delay was prohibitive.

As I understand, easy have been chomping at the bit to get back serving the Island and they have regular updates with Lady Reynolds and Master Jez. Problem is, the folk at the airport would never be kept in the loop about border changes, so could never advise airlines on what's happening.

Just now, Lxxx said:

No commercial company is, airline or not. Anyone who conduct affairs here does so because it is commercially profitable for them. Whether that is Easyjet or Microgaming. Let's dispense with this talk about how we need to nationalise everything for the good of the island. The good of the island is served by keeping as much out of the hands of the state as possible.  

So are you for or against IOMG involvement in IOMSPCo, the People's Ferry?

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

So are you for or against IOMG involvement in IOMSPCo, the People's Ferry?

I am for the involvement but not the whole belt and braces ownership. There are instances where we need an input, however in my view those instances need to be as minimal as possible.

The private sector is far better at running near enough everything than the public sector, if the procurement process and contractual terms are correct.

3 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I am for the involvement but not the whole belt and braces ownership. There are instances where we need an input, however in my view those instances need to be as minimal as possible.

The private sector is far better at running near enough everything than the public sector, if the procurement process and contractual terms are correct.

I can agree with this.

I'd sooner see Government commit to underwrite something, than get directly involved. That's usually where it goes wrong.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I think they're a victim of issues that are actually partly of the Island's own making, to be honest.

We have this obsession that the airport MUST be closed by 9pm I think it is and we charge airlines mega money to stay open later than this. It has to stop in the future when air services resume. It often resulted in the easy Gatwick cancellations because the cost to keep the airport open for another 2hrs due to a knock on delay was prohibitive.

But EZY knew what the operating hours of the airport are and must have known that they were scheduling the flight in the summer with very little room for delays.

Why they choose to schedule it so late in the summer timetable is their own business but they must take the consequences if delays or cancellations occur. The evening LGW rotation is always scheduled much earlier in the winter so they can operate an earlier flight if they so wish.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I can agree with this.

I'd sooner see Government commit to underwrite something, than get directly involved. That's usually where it goes wrong.

I'd be interested to hear what Terry Liddiard has to say on the current situation. Perhaps the Press/Media would invite him to let us have his thoughts on where and how he thinks things will pan out.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

But EZY knew what the operating hours of the airport are and must have known that they were scheduling the flight in the summer with very little room for delays.

Why they choose to schedule it so late in the summer timetable is their own business but they must take the consequences if delays or cancellations occur. The evening LGW rotation is always scheduled much earlier in the winter so they can operate an earlier flight if they so wish.

I too have looked at the slot allocations as others have done. It looks like easyJet are committed to double daily.

I think the easyJet issue is actually one as a result of an away based airline serving the London market allowing people to travel for business purposes. It would be less of an issue for an Isle of Man originating flight, however.

The problem I've always seen with our London flights is that people would often fly to the Island from City and fly back with easyJet as the City flight always left here too early.

Edited by jaymann

28 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'd be interested to hear what Terry Liddiard has to say on the current situation. Perhaps the Press/Media would invite him to let us have his thoughts on where and how he thinks things will pan out.

I couldn't care less what he thinks

It's like asking a bus driver on a legacy contract what he thinks of the new zero hours contracts

Edited by snowman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Mr Liddiard did an interview with ace reporter (😂) Moulton on MTV a few months ago in which he said that after having been a 'national airline' sceptic he had come around to the view that it might be time to, for the Island's benefit, to think about the concept again.

54 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

The good of the island is served by keeping as much out of the hands of the state as possible.  

No, I disagree with you.  The good of the island is served not by the profit motive of an airline that couldn't give a monkey's about the Isle of Man other than as an adjunct to one of its airbus daily rotations with no regard to the convenience of its timings - and then bleat when it runs (as it invariably used to) late.  You might not mind landing in Gatwick or Bristol at 2230 but for a lot of folk it is hopeless.  If the Island wants reliable andconsistent services then it must take a stake - not necessarily running its own operation but committing sufficient funds to get the service it requires.

39 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Spot on.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, snowman said:

I couldn't care less what he thinks

It's like asking a bus driver on a legacy contract what he thinks of the new zero hours contracts

Perhaps when you've run an airline you might give us the benefit of your clearly limited and myopic opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Perhaps when you've run an airline you might give us the benefit of your clearly limited and myopic opinion.

Could you remind when Mr Liddiard put the interests of our island first . Seems to have changed his mind to fit in with a few unemployed pilots from what I read into his interviews. I am wrong ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2