Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Andy Onchan

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I’m wondering if we should just get on with some stuff? I’d really like to see this unprecedented wave of people wanting to move to the IOM over to have a look at houses. I reckon I could have a stab ata minimal contact plan....

arrive in own car on boat or hire from airport.

designated hotel. All meals etc to be taken there.

Mask worn all the time. 

Drive to houses to view directly. Meet agent for socially distanced viewing wearing. PPE.

max  3 day visit.

I need to declare a vested interest insofar as I want to sell my house, but I’d imagine the agents are desperate to stimulate the market.

What unprecedented wave of people wanting to come here ? You are bright enough to know that is rubbish

35 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

We went down Dhoon glen at the weekend for the first time, unbelievably, only to discover the beauty of the place. Not an easy walk back, but the waterfall and the rest of the Glen was absolutely fantastic. Then reaching the  beach we were totally agog at its stunning scenery and rock formations. While we have places like this here ( and there are dozens more), why would anyone want to go to Guernsey?
This has opened my eyes even more to the beauty of our island and just reinforces why I stay here.

I saw parts of the island during lockdown that I'd never have seen in ten lifetimes while working.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Just prise open the top of Howard Quayle’s head (you may need to oil the hinges) and have a peep into his imagination. It won’t take you long as there isn’t much there. However, that’s where you’ll find the tsunami of aspirant residents all lined up with their cheque books and suitcases.

I'm not sure that the hinges will need to be oiled, they should be quite free. After all the CS and various self interested parties are popping things in there all the time.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 2:26 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Don't worry Rob has already changed his mind:

Something no doubt completely unrelated to that last sentence.  I have the horrible feeling that they think even a national airline wouldn't lose quite enough money, so they would prefer a solution with even less control that was even more expensive.

The truth is that no one knows what the airline market will be like in six months time; no one knows what the leisure demand will be and from where; no one knows if there will even be a business market and how it will operate[1].  We can be sure though that there will be a lot of spare capacity among existing airlines and airports.  I can't see the purpose of suddenly becoming a seller when there's a buyer's market.

[1]  The one certainty is that there will be lots of 'businessmen' proclaiming that there has to an ultra-frequent service to [X] destination - which they end up never actually using or if they do complain loudly if it costs more that £20 return.

I don't agree that lots of 'businessmen' will proclaim an ultra frequent service and expect to pay more no more than £20 return. The island needs a regular well timed daily early morning and evening service into either London Heathrow or London City. This is the service that has been provided by BA and was running at load factors of over 70% on an annual basis with fares of around £120-£150 return. Over 5000 on average were using this service a month. This service is required going forward at least twice a day to maintain strong connections into the heart of London at sensible times.